Menstrual Cramps and PMS - Medication

What medications have you tried for menstrual cramps? What works, and what doesn't?

Menstrual cramps and PMS medication facts

• Menstrual cramps that occur in the absence of a known abnormality or cause are medically referred to as primary dysmenorrhea.
  • Non-drug treatments for menstrual cramps include adequate rest and sleep, regular exercise (especially walking), and smoking cessation.
  • Menstrual cramps are not the same as the symptoms experienced due to premenstrual syndrome (PMS), although the symptoms of both disorders can sometimes be experienced together.
  • Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a combination of emotional, physical, psychological, and mood disturbances that occur after a woman's ovulation; and usually end with the onset of her menstrual flow.
  • For moderate menstrual cramps, the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen [Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, etc.] or naproxen [Aleve, Anaprox, Naprosyn, Naprelan]) are often helpful. The NSAIDs are more effective than aspirin in inhibiting the production and action of the prostaglandins that cause menstrual cramps.
Return to Menstrual Cramps and Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Medication Guide

Comment from: Anna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 27

I am a medical administrative student. It has been 9 years since I have been experiencing PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome) and menstrual problems - mood disorders to severe cramps, vomiting, sweating, cephalagia and pain in my mid and lower back. Although, I have been trying my best to change my eating habits and use the right medicine (Midol works for me). I'm allergic to ibuprofen- makes me dizzy and increases my pain along with shortness of breath.