Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?

Please select the white circle:

What are the signs and symptoms of food poisoning?

Food poisoning most commonly causes:

• abdominal cramps,
  • vomiting, and
  • diarrhea.

This can cause significant amounts of fluid loss and diarrhea along with nausea and vomiting may make it difficult to replace lost fluid, leading to dehydration. In developing countries where infectious epidemics cause diarrheal illnesses, thousands of people die because of dehydration.

As noted in the section above, other organ systems may be infected and affected by food poisoning. Symptoms will depend upon what organ system is involved (for example, encephalopathy due to brain infection).

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: G123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

At a dinner party we left early because I was feeling very tired. By midnight I was throwing up and had a mild fever, body aches, chills and abdominal pain. These food poisoning symptoms lasted for two days. After eating (soup and crackers) I had diarrhea followed by gas. The whole time I was feeling dehydrated but nothing went down easily (not even fluids). I was very sick for three whole days. All I wanted to do was sleep because I was miserable.

Comment from: Nikkis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I ate out for five days in a row and made bacon for breakfast, so as to what made me sick, the possibilities are endless. My brother and I went out for dinner. I got home at 8 pm and shortly started having intense, severe abdominal pain and nausea. I had a hard time throwing up, even though I knew it would have made me feel better. I also had a fever and terrible chills, very sweaty. By 3 am (I was awake all night with the awful stomach pain), I began vomiting aggressively all over the place. After that, I spent the rest of the night next to the toilet. That was all last night. I'm feeling slightly better now, keeping some food down.