Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of food poisoning?

Food poisoning most commonly causes:

• abdominal cramps,
  • vomiting, and
  • diarrhea.

This can cause significant amounts of fluid loss and diarrhea along with nausea and vomiting may make it difficult to replace lost fluid, leading to dehydration. In developing countries where infectious epidemics cause diarrheal illnesses, thousands of people die because of dehydration.

As noted in the section above, other organ systems may be infected and affected by food poisoning. Symptoms will depend upon what organ system is involved (for example, encephalopathy due to brain infection).

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: Food Poison Victim, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

The symptoms of my food poisoning were diarrhea, abdominal cramps, bloating, vomiting, chills, and headache. I felt horrible and it lasted 2 days. I drank water and other fluids, and slept a lot.

Comment from: judith, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

My symptom of food poisoning is throwing up 13 hours after I ate chicken in Cody's Roadhouse. I am still nauseous after 3 days. I was hospitalized.