Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?

What are the signs and symptoms of food poisoning?

Food poisoning most commonly causes:

• abdominal cramps,
  • vomiting, and
  • diarrhea.

This can cause significant amounts of fluid loss and diarrhea along with nausea and vomiting may make it difficult to replace lost fluid, leading to dehydration. In developing countries where infectious epidemics cause diarrheal illnesses, thousands of people die because of dehydration.

As noted in the section above, other organ systems may be infected and affected by food poisoning. Symptoms will depend upon what organ system is involved (for example, encephalopathy due to brain infection).

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Several hours after eating a chicken soup with vegetables that may not have been refrigerated properly I was at work and started feeling weird and dizzy like the room was spinning around me. Shortly after that I was in the bathroom but no diarrhea because I take probiotics constantly (thank goodness), everything that came out was solid, not diarrhea. However, I started vomiting and this continued for about 5 to 8 hours. The dizziness continued and I am on day two at home. The vomiting has ceased (hopefully) replaced by headache and chills. I am drinking hot lemon with honey and it helped immensely. I also took some olive leaf capsules which kill bacteria and noticed an immediate relief last night. No food yet (24 hours) just the lemon drink so far.

Comment from: MN Baseball fan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I ate a Cuban pork sandwich at the ballgame at 3 PM. Next day, less than 24 hours later it felt like an alien was going to pop out of my stomach. I had a bad feeling when I ate the sandwich. The meat looked a little raw, but it tasted good. I came close to vomiting, but never did. I spent the next two days on and off the throne. Finally I started feeling better the next day, but when I tried to get out of bed the room started spinning rapidly. What is this! Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) that probably came about from the food poisoning is what I'm finding out.