Food Poisoning - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your food poisoning?

Please select the black square:

What are the signs and symptoms of food poisoning?

Food poisoning most commonly causes:

• abdominal cramps,
  • vomiting, and
  • diarrhea.

This can cause significant amounts of fluid loss and diarrhea along with nausea and vomiting may make it difficult to replace lost fluid, leading to dehydration. In developing countries where infectious epidemics cause diarrheal illnesses, thousands of people die because of dehydration.

As noted in the section above, other organ systems may be infected and affected by food poisoning. Symptoms will depend upon what organ system is involved (for example, encephalopathy due to brain infection).

Return to Food Poisoning

Comment from: BetterNow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

About 9 pm, I had a chocolate martini and I ate a steak (rare as always) and lobster dinner with mashed potatoes, some partially cooked spinach on top, asparagus, carrot, and mushroom and was very full. Later when I went to my hotel room, I finished a partially eaten piece of refrigerated chocolate cake. When I got up at 7, I didn't feel well, started getting cold and clammy, and cramps. I threw up 3 times and then started having diarrhea the rest of the day and am still having some, but along with the diarrhea, bright red blood is exiting; not pouring, but just lots of drops with each bowel movement. I had a routine colonoscopy in October and everything was fine. I am hoping the blood is just some internal hemorrhoid. I am still having cramping too from the food poisoning. It's now 24 hours since I ate dinner.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

Several hours after eating a chicken soup with vegetables that may not have been refrigerated properly I was at work and started feeling weird and dizzy like the room was spinning around me. Shortly after that I was in the bathroom but no diarrhea because I take probiotics constantly (thank goodness), everything that came out was solid, not diarrhea. However, I started vomiting and this continued for about 5 to 8 hours. The dizziness continued and I am on day two at home. The vomiting has ceased (hopefully) replaced by headache and chills. I am drinking hot lemon with honey and it helped immensely. I also took some olive leaf capsules which kill bacteria and noticed an immediate relief last night. No food yet (24 hours) just the lemon drink so far.