Ectopic Pregnancy - Symptoms

Please describe the symptoms and diagnosis with your ectopic pregnancy.

Please select the white circle:

Three classic signs and symptoms of an ectopic pregnancy

The three classic signs and symptoms of ectopic pregnancy include:

• abdominal pain,
  • the absence of menstrual periods (amenorrhea), and
  • vaginal bleeding or intermittent bleeding (spotting).

However, about 50% of females with an ectopic pregnancy will not have all three signs.

Return to Ectopic Pregnancy

Comment from: Rachel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

The symptoms I had with my ectopic pregnancy were the following: spotting (sometimes clots), tenderness and pain on my left side, constipation, it felt like I had a urinary tract infection (UTI), and if I didn't have a bowel movement for two days the pain on my left side would get so bad that I had trouble standing up straight and I would also start spotting again until I had a bowel movement. I also had what felt like pressure in my rectum. I basically felt that I had to go to the bathroom constantly to relieve some pain. I went to the emergency room one night after almost passing out from the pain, but they said that it was normal and that my uterus was stretching. Only when I went for my first ultrasound at 10 weeks did they see that it was a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Something I learned was that if you have one sided pain that hurts a lot, don't think that it's normal or believe them when they say it's a UTI, rather be sure and get an ultrasound or transvaginal ultrasound to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Don't think you're a baby for not being able to handle the pain, get checked out!

Comment from: madonna jane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I had an ectopic pregnancy (EP) in February 2014, I was 6 weeks pregnant. My partner and I had been trying for over a year but no luck; I had two miscarriages before the EP. It started with light cramps and spotting and because of the two miscarriages I had before I was worried of it being another so I went to the hospital and the doctor told me it was normal and sent me home like he didn't care. The next day I started getting bad back pain in my left side and wouldn't go away I went to the hospital again and they turned me away so did my general physician. After 7 days of the worst pain I've ever felt and the bleeding getting worse I went to the early pregnancy unit where they checked me out within 5 minutes of being there. They took some blood and I had an internal ultra-scan and they told me I was having an EP. I was so scared and before I knew it I was rushed to have emergency surgery to remove the baby from my left tube. I lost my left tube and left ovary. I am so grateful to the early pregnancy unit for all their help and support they gave me; I may not be here today if they didn't help. I have to stop now trying for another baby because of the risk involved. It's been 5 month now and I still get pain on my left back and pelvis. Ladies, you know your body and you know when something is wrong, as soon as you notice get it seen to. Hope this helps someone.