Sporotrichosis - Treatment

What type of treatment, including medication, did you receive for sporotrichosis?

Please select the white circle:

Treatment and Outcomes for Sporotrichosis

Most cases of sporotrichosis only involve the skin and/or subcutaneous tissues and are non-life-threatening, but the infection requires treatment with prescription antifungal medication for several months. The most common treatment for this type of sporotrichosis is oral itraconazole for 3 to 6 months. Itraconazole may also be used to treat bone and joint infections, but treatment should continue for at least 12 months.

For patients with severe disease, and/ or an infection that has spread throughout the body, a lipid formulation of amphotericin B should be used. Itraconazole can be used for step-down therapy once the patient has stabilized. Supersaturated potassium iodide (SSKI) is another treatment option for cutaneous or lymphocutaneous disease. SSKI and azole drugs like itraconazole should not be used during pregnancy. Treatment recommendations may differ for children.

Return to Sporotrichosis

Comment from: Sim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I got sporotrichosis, with ulcer on index finger and red line up my arm with nodules in lymph canal, from handling sphagnum moss. I have been on itraconazole for 1 month. Side effect of medication after a month is liver enzymes extremely elevated with brown urine caused by medication. I had to stop medication to stop further damage to liver.

Comment from: onehorsemom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I work in a floral shop and in April 2014 my finger began to split and itch and peel and they hurt to touch anything. A month of pain and splitting fingers I finally sought treatment. Doctor's opinion was that my skin was too dry, and he told me to use hand cream. Two months later finally I got a referral to a dermatologist who pretty much had no clue what I had. He put me on steroids and told me to use hand cream all day long. No relief. On my own I tried everything I could find and finally two months ago started using fungal cream. It helped and some fingers healed. I still have two involved. My daughter who is pharmacy school called me last night and told me what was wrong. They had gone over sporotrichosis in class. It was everything I had. Now I'm back to using the fungal cream because I know it will work. Two doctors had no idea what it was!