Scoliosis - Experiences

Please describe your experience with scoliosis.

What is scoliosis?

Scoliosis is a disorder that causes an abnormal curve of the spine, or backbone. The spine has normal curves when looking from the side, but it should appear straight when looking from the front. Kyphosis is a curve seen from the side in which the spine is bent forward. There is a normal kyphosis in the middle (thoracic) spine. Lordosis is a curve seen from the side in which the spine is bent backward. There is a normal lordosis in the upper (cervical) spine and the lower (lumbar) spine. People with scoliosis develop additional curves to either side, and the bones of the spine twist on each other, forming a "C" or an "S" shape in the spine.

Scoliosis is about two times more common in girls than boys. It can be seen at any age, but it is most common in those over 10 years of age. Scoliosis is hereditary in that people with scoliosis are more likely to have children with scoliosis; however, there is no correlation between the severity of the curve from one generation to the next.

Return to Scoliosis

Comment from: vls, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with severe S curve scoliosis when I was 11 years old. I wore a Milwaukee brace for six months and then had spinal fusion surgery with nine chips and two metal clips. I was bedridden for six months and had to relearn how to walk. I am happy to see that there are other methods of correction requiring less down time. I also am happy to report that I have lived and am living a very productive life. I'm a retired teacher and currently own a bar. I have six children and have no back pain.

Comment from: notagain, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis when she was between 4-6 years old. She was quite slender and having issues with chronic bronchitis and poor weight gain. Every time she almost reached 40 lb. she would have a bout of bronchitis. The doctor took a chest x-ray and found the scoliosis. She was treated with physical therapy, exercises and eventually a plastic brace. I would advise anyone with a family history of scoliosis to have their children be evaluated by an orthopedic doctor familiar with diagnosing it. Don"t wait for the school screening. On a side note, most doctors, nurses and screeners would not have noted my daughters curve.