Scoliosis - Experiences

Please describe your experience with scoliosis.

Please select the black square:

What is scoliosis?

Scoliosis is a disorder that causes an abnormal curve of the spine, or backbone. The spine has normal curves when looking from the side, but it should appear straight when looking from the front. Kyphosis is a curve seen from the side in which the spine is bent forward. There is a normal kyphosis in the middle (thoracic) spine. Lordosis is a curve seen from the side in which the spine is bent backward. There is a normal lordosis in the upper (cervical) spine and the lower (lumbar) spine. People with scoliosis develop additional curves to either side, and the bones of the spine twist on each other, forming a "C" or an "S" shape in the spine.

Scoliosis is about two times more common in girls than boys. It can be seen at any age, but it is most common in those over 10 years of age. Scoliosis is hereditary in that people with scoliosis are more likely to have children with scoliosis; however, there is no correlation between the severity of the curve from one generation to the next.

Return to Scoliosis

Comment from: Washington Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

When I was 12, I was diagnosed with scoliosis and elected the surgery. I am now 46, have 3 grown children (2 of which were all natural child birth), I ride a motorcycle, swim, run, jump and play and hold a management financial position for the last 28 years. I have been able to accept the pains and limitations (Yoga is almost hilarious) and live a great life. I have a Harrington Rod and was in a body cast during puberty for over six months. It has been 34 years and I am so thankful that I had the surgery done by such amazing doctors. It seems the procedures are so much less invasive now, so just be assured that a diagnosis today is far from a life of disability.

Comment from: Leagen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was found to have scoliosis at age 15 but nothing was ever done. It stopped getting worse in my mid-20s and started again in my mid-40s and now it is so bad I cannot breathe well and am in constant horrible pain. I have 3 curves one being about a 90 degree one, yes, I said 90 degrees. I doubt I will live much longer because it continues to get worse and my breathing is going fast. I only get Medicare and state Medicaid so I have not seen a doctor in years. I just want the pain to go away.