Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

What are the symptoms and signs of a Staph infection?

Staphylococcal disease of the skin usually results in a localized collection of pus, known as an abscess, boil, or furuncle, depending upon the exact type of lesion that is present. The affected area may be red, swollen, and painful. Drainage or pus is common. When Staph is in the blood (bacteremia or sepsis), it can cause high fevers, chills, and low blood pressure.

Return to Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)

Comment from: Surprised, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

About a month ago I noticed some cuts on my fingers, infected areas around my nails, etc., which I thought were just from playing too rough with my dog, yard work, nothing serious. Then these cuts just oozed clear yellow pus, never healed, and the skin began to burn and became very hot. The next week, I felt tired (same symptoms on my cuts, but worsening). Following week pain was shooting up my fingers/joints and I went to see my primary care physician (PCP). I had friends and colleagues telling me it might be shingles and could be serious. My PCP saw me for literally 30 seconds, told me it was a staph infection of some kind, prescribed me about 7 total medicines (4 antibiotics/3 topical), and told me to rest. Last week (all the below occurred in 24/36 hours when my wife and son were out of town, and I was all alone in my house) midway through the treatment, I suddenly began to feel boiling hot, sweating profusely, then freezing cold, then literally every muscle/joint began to hurt, every nerve felt like it was exposed and on fire, I could not physically move an inch, couldn't eat or drink, and my skin felt like it was on fire all over my body. I felt like I was going into shock; maybe even dying. Thank goodness I made an SOS cell phone call with literally all of the energy I had left and the recipient picked up, came to my house, took me straight to the emergency room (ER). The ER staff put 10 total IVs of fluid in me over the next seven hours (4 of water, 4 of antibiotics/anti-allergen and 2 steroid-pain killer mix), I had a 105 degree fever and rising-and I was going into shock! I was misdiagnosed by my PCP, never given a blood/fluid test to determine the actual infection, given an antibiotic that I was deathly allergic to (Bactrim) and reacting badly to and I actually had 2 strands of separate staph. My body was fighting with everything it had and I had no idea what was happening. I am a very healthy, strong, young adult male, it's the only reason (plus that SOS call), that I'm typing this as we speak. Staph is no joke folks, I had never even really heard of staph in a serious manner before this and it almost killed me. If in doubt, go get looked after!

Comment from: bacoyds, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I am going on three weeks after a week's stay in the hospital to treat my staph infection. I got massive doses of antibiotics and for a while, they thought I might lose a leg. I also have a low blood pressure so they would have I hard time doing any surgery.