Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection (staphylococcus aureus) last?

What are the symptoms and signs of a Staph infection?

Staphylococcal disease of the skin usually results in a localized collection of pus, known as an abscess, boil, or furuncle, depending upon the exact type of lesion that is present. The affected area may be red, swollen, and painful. Drainage or pus is common. When Staph is in the blood (bacteremia or sepsis), it can cause high fevers, chills, and low blood pressure.

Return to Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)

Comment from: texas gal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I just found out today, that what I've had for over three years is a MRSA infection. It started out as a rash on my tail-bone. In the past year, knots in my groin area, that eventually would burst, appeared. My doctor treated it with creams and antibiotics. Finally, on my visit, about two weeks ago, she was able to culture it and phoned with the results today. I'm waiting on my prescription(s) to be filled. She has me on an antibiotic and a cream for under my finger nails and in my nostrils. I was also told to buy a certain type of soap (Hibiclens) and use that from now on. In my doctor's defense, I self-medicated for about two years before the knots presented themselves. I started going to my doctor when that occurred. Until my last visit she was unable to get a culture on my visits.

Comment from: Panda, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I was recently admitted to hospital with a MRSA staph infection in my left leg. There had been a small nick on the back of my calf where my doctors believe the infection got in. Unfortunately the infection was very sudden and acute, it occurred over only a matter of a few hours and I went into toxic shock from it. When the paramedics got to me my temperature was well over 108 degrees and I was rushed to emergency. I was in hospital for eight days being treated with antibiotics. The leg was initially swollen and very red, but after 3 to 4 days it blistered over a large portion of my calf and shin and has since began to scab over. I have now been out of hospital for 3 weeks and the affected area still needs to be bandaged. Thank fully the majority of the scabs has reduced and there is only a small portion of my calf that requires bandaging.