Agoraphobia - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with agoraphobia?

What are the symptoms of agoraphobia?

The symptoms of agoraphobia include anxiety that one will have a panic attack when in a situation from which escape is not possible or is difficult or embarrassing. The panic attack associated with agoraphobia, like all panic attacks, may involve intense fear, disorientation, rapid heart beat, dizziness, or diarrhea. Agoraphobic individuals often begin to avoid the situations that provoke these reactions. Interestingly, the situations that are often avoided by people with agoraphobia and the environments which cause people with balance disorders to feel disoriented are quite similar. This leads some cases of agoraphobia to be considered as vestibular function agoraphobia.

Return to Agoraphobia

Comment from: thafantasy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I want to leave town so bad, but I haven't because of this fear I have of travelling on the highway, bridges, and going to unfamiliar places I never been before. I feel like this agoraphobia is controlling my life, and I feel very helpless and hopeless a lot of times. I don't know what makes me feel afraid to even get in a car, bus or train if I am about to travel on the highway; I am so scared that I have been just avoiding the whole situation all together. I need help, and I want to be set free from this!

Stay Informed!