Concussion - Treatments

What were your treatments of concussion?

What is the treatment for concussion?

Time is the ally in concussion treatment since most symptoms resolve relatively quickly. Treatment is directed at symptom control for headaches, nausea, dizziness, and insomnia.

Brain rest is an important concept. In today's high tech connected world, the brain is often asked to process information at a high rate of speed from television, computers, and smartphones. Limiting use of those devices may be helpful in allowing the brain to recover more quickly.

Ultimately, the brain will recover at its own pace. While 80% to 90% of concussion patients will recover within 7 to 10 days, some patients will experience symptoms for weeks or months. The length of recovery is not necessarily related to the initial injury.

Discussion with employers may be needed to alert them to issues of poor work performance due to difficulty with concentration and comprehension. Similarly, school officials should be notified about the potential for decrease in school function.

Return to sports depends upon complete resolution of concussion symptoms and it is important not to return to practice or competition too soon. A concussed brain may be more prone to repeated injury.

Return to Concussion

Comment from: alan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I can't get help from local doctor, I have concussion due to a problem that happened three months ago. The pain in the head and right side is really bad. I vomit, get dizzy and there is no sleep.

Comment from: GrowGreen, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

A motorcycle accident in 2005 left me with severe brain trauma. As a result poor short term memory, lesser fine motor skills, slower thought process, difficulty with speech, constant nausea, neck pain and social/emotional problems are the norm. I am on two medicines, Ritalin and Cymbalta. I've gotten better restful sleeps, lesser nausea and I even feel like walking in public again. I'm finally able to get back to work on a lesser than full time basis. The ringing in my ears gets so bad I can't focus, depression is a big one since it affects all parts of life especially sleep, which can lead to sluggish and diminished capabilities in daily life. My nervous system seems to still be in shock and I can shake bad enough to make daily normal activities difficult.