Concussion - Treatments

What were your treatments of concussion?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for concussion?

Time is the ally in concussion treatment since most symptoms resolve relatively quickly. Treatment is directed at symptom control for headaches, nausea, dizziness, and insomnia.

Brain rest is an important concept. In today's high tech connected world, the brain is often asked to process information at a high rate of speed from television, computers, and smartphones. Limiting use of those devices may be helpful in allowing the brain to recover more quickly.

Ultimately, the brain will recover at its own pace. While 80% to 90% of concussion patients will recover within 7 to 10 days, some patients will experience symptoms for weeks or months. The length of recovery is not necessarily related to the initial injury.

Discussion with employers may be needed to alert them to issues of poor work performance due to difficulty with concentration and comprehension. Similarly, school officials should be notified about the potential for decrease in school function.

Return to sports depends upon complete resolution of concussion symptoms and it is important not to return to practice or competition too soon. A concussed brain may be more prone to repeated injury.

Return to Concussion

Comment from: Ana Martinez, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I suffered a concussion, when I fell and hit my head in March of 2012. Since then, I have suffered from strong headaches, vomiting, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, sensitivity to noise, ringing in my ears, memory loss, and personality changes. Doctors have prescribed me ondansetron for vomiting, butalbital/acetaminophen/caffeine tablets for headaches, antipyrine and benzocaine drops for my affected ears, as well as other injections and pain medications.

Comment from: fred, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I had a motor vehicle accident on June 8 2013, today is July 11 2013, I was knocked out for 10/15 minutes, I still have dizzy spells every time I try to get up or change positions from a chair to standing, the doctor says this can go on up till 6 months, anyone else have this?