Botulism - Cosmetic and Medical Treatments

Have you been treated with botulism neurotoxins for cosmetic or medical treatments? What are your concerns?

Please select the black triangle:

Why are botulism neurotoxins used as cosmetic treatments or treatments for some medical conditions?

Interestingly, purified and highly diluted botulism toxin is being used to treat conditions that are characterized by abnormal muscle contractions. (Some examples of these conditions are torticollis, spasmodic dysphonia, achalasia, strabismus, oromandibular dystonia, cervical dystonia, and blepharospasm.)

Wrinkles are caused by repeated normal muscle contractions...no muscle contractions, no wrinkles. Consequently, many people elect to have an FDA-approved formulation of the dilute toxin injected to reduce or stop wrinkles in the skin. This wrinkle treatment was first approved by the FDA in 2002. Possible side effects of this treatment include bruising, ptosis (abnormal drooping of a body part, especially the eyelid), nausea, and dysphasia (difficulty with speech), but other side effects may also occur. The last reference listed below shows pictures of frown line treatment with BOTOX.

Return to Botulism

Comment from: trichia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I had a Botox (botulism neurotoxins) injection in my face for cosmetic reasons and since then I have been very tired and my vision is impaired.

Comment from: patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was treated with Botox (botulism neurotoxins) injection for cervical dystonia in November 2013. It did not work. I had problems swallowing/breathing/choking/dry mouth. I weighted 125 lbs height 5ft 2in before treatment and now I weigh 95 lbs. I wonder if I should be concerned that I may have botulism. I was a healthy normal 64 year old woman before I was diagnosed with cervical dystonia. Wonder if weight loss is part of dystonia.

Stay Informed!