Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Please select the white circle:

What is colonoscopy?

Colonoscopy is a procedure that enables an examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to evaluate the inside of the colon (large intestine or large bowel). The colonoscope is a four foot long, flexible tube about the thickness of a finger with a camera and a source of light at its tip. The tip of the colonoscope is inserted into the anus and then is advanced slowly, under visual control, into the rectum and through the colon usually as far as the cecum, which is the first part of the colon.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: Colonoscopy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I had my first colonoscopy today. My preparation was awful to say the least. Just so I don't discourage anyone from getting a colonoscopy I will skip the gross details but I will say to stay away from the Miralax prep. Ask your doctor to prescribe a different prep solution to take because I couldn't even finish my 2nd phase, it made me ill. But I have to say the screening was a breeze. All the nurses were excellent and it was all over pretty much before I realized it began.

Comment from: Gilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Firstly I am in the U.K. I had my first colonoscopy in 2002 in a private hospital, well sedated, and it wasn't a problem at all, in fact all I remember is waking up when it was over. I went for another in December 2015 at local NHS (National Health Service) hospital. My goodness, the pain! They got as far as the second bend, and I was in agony. They used gas and air and some totally useless sedation. I went in today for a CT colonoscopy, no sedation at all, just vile medication since Sunday to clear me out and add a dye. This was nearly as painful as the colonoscopy, I asked them twice to stop it and they didn't. I'm now traumatized. I've given birth twice without any pain relief, so am no stranger to pain. But this was torture plain and simple. Hospitals need to look at sedation!