Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

What is colonoscopy?

Colonoscopy is a procedure that enables an examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to evaluate the inside of the colon (large intestine or large bowel). The colonoscope is a four foot long, flexible tube about the thickness of a finger with a camera and a source of light at its tip. The tip of the colonoscope is inserted into the anus and then is advanced slowly, under visual control, into the rectum and through the colon usually as far as the cecum, which is the first part of the colon.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: Natural believer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a screening colonoscopy on Tuesday morning. I used a new preparation called Suprep, which costs USD 120.00. It is 8 oz. that you mix with 16 oz., drink, and then drink 2 more 16 oz. cups of plain water within 2 hours. Sure did work! You do it again the next morning 4 hours before your appointment. I have 4 words for this entire prep; projectile anal liquid release. The test was done under propofol, so I have no memory and had no pain. Or if I did I don't remember! Unfortunately, I had 6 benign polyps taken, one of the pre-cancerous variety, and they installed 3 instinct endoscopic hemoclips. I was given a diet for a week consisting of very few foods that I can eat. I am a 5 ft. 7, 135 lb. non-insulin dependent diabetic with a less than 6 A1C. I work very carefully for this range and refuse to eat white and mushy food. I am close to a raw food vegetarian. I could not eat their pasta, potato and white flour suggestions. Overcooked canned beets were the best I could do! I also must refrain from any painkillers for 2 weeks except the (worthless) Tylenol. I have had lower back pain since the minute I came to. Now it's Sunday afternoon, and their Tylenol therapy is still not helping. Apparently, my colon is still 'asleep' as well. They have suggested that I take the chemical Miralax for that. My body always knew what to do before this, with no problem at all. Very regular without ever a problem. I was constipated once in 1976. I am sorry I had this procedure done. We all have to die of something anyways. Living like this is not any picnic either! Will I ever have bowel movement again! They seem to think this is just fine.

Comment from: Vern, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I just came back from my colonoscopy. The staff were all helpful and very nice. I was obviously nervous after the mixture was so awful, that had to be drunk over the last couple days and thought the procedure could only be painful. I could not believe when it was over and how quickly. Not painful at all, the solution to prepare was worse.