Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Please select the black triangle:

What is colonoscopy?

Colonoscopy is a procedure that enables an examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to evaluate the inside of the colon (large intestine or large bowel). The colonoscope is a four foot long, flexible tube about the thickness of a finger with a camera and a source of light at its tip. The tip of the colonoscope is inserted into the anus and then is advanced slowly, under visual control, into the rectum and through the colon usually as far as the cecum, which is the first part of the colon.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: NeverAgain, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 14

I had a sigmoidoscopy at age 50. I did not have any sedation as I was told it was not necessary, so I went in with no apprehension. It was the worst. The doctor rammed that device where it had to be, and it was so bad. The nurse told me after that I should have been sedated. I only wish she had advocated for me during the procedure as I just squirmed all over. That doctor knew that if he would have medicated me that the procedure would have taken longer for the medicine to be effective. Needless to say, I haven't gone for any more scopes. If I die of colon cancer, it's that doctor's ruthless behavior at fault. I don't know what device he used, but my imagination tells me that he jammed a small rodent with sharp little claws up there and it spent a long time scurrying around and around until it found its way out. Never again!

Comment from: Sillydogruns, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am 52, and two hours ago, I had a colonoscopy. I was nervous because it was my first time. The doctor used IV fentanyl and IV Versed to sedate me. I live in Canada and work in the medical field, so I knew what medicines they were going to use before the procedure. After they put the IV in, they put nasal prongs on with oxygen on me. They put the sedating medications in the IV. Lying on my side, I remember thinking 'I think I am starting to feel the sedatives kicking in', and then I woke up in recovery. They left what felt like a thin tube in my bowel exiting the rectum (which I could hardly feel) so that I could pass the air they filled my bowel with, silently, which I was thankful for, because there were other people in the recovery with me. After about an hour in recovery, they took the tube out, and I could not even feel it being taken out. I was refreshed and not groggy. My mind was clear. I felt great. I was told I had a normal colonoscopy. I will never be nervous to have this done again.