Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

What is colonoscopy?

Colonoscopy is a procedure that enables an examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to evaluate the inside of the colon (large intestine or large bowel). The colonoscope is a four foot long, flexible tube about the thickness of a finger with a camera and a source of light at its tip. The tip of the colonoscope is inserted into the anus and then is advanced slowly, under visual control, into the rectum and through the colon usually as far as the cecum, which is the first part of the colon.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: Gilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

Firstly I am in the U.K. I had my first colonoscopy in 2002 in a private hospital, well sedated, and it wasn't a problem at all, in fact all I remember is waking up when it was over. I went for another in December 2015 at local NHS (National Health Service) hospital. My goodness, the pain! They got as far as the second bend, and I was in agony. They used gas and air and some totally useless sedation. I went in today for a CT colonoscopy, no sedation at all, just vile medication since Sunday to clear me out and add a dye. This was nearly as painful as the colonoscopy, I asked them twice to stop it and they didn't. I'm now traumatized. I've given birth twice without any pain relief, so am no stranger to pain. But this was torture plain and simple. Hospitals need to look at sedation!

Comment from: nanno3, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I found it way easier to prepare for colonoscopy; to fast (clear liquids ok but no solids) for three days prior. The preparation solution gave me hives as well as caused me to gag. I would rather just not eat (pretend I'm a movie star prepping for the Oscars!) than feel sick to my stomach. I still drank the nasty stuff but I didn't have to ingest as much. Check with your doctor first if this is ok for you. Also to cut the evil taste of Gatorade I drank sips of black coffee (bitter to counteract the sick sweetness) or sucked on mint/sour hard candies. A candle burning in the bathroom will also lessen the chances of throwing up and dilute the smells.