Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a Colonoscopy.

Please select the black triangle:

What is colonoscopy?

Colonoscopy is a procedure that enables an examiner (usually a gastroenterologist) to evaluate the inside of the colon (large intestine or large bowel). The colonoscope is a four foot long, flexible tube about the thickness of a finger with a camera and a source of light at its tip. The tip of the colonoscope is inserted into the anus and then is advanced slowly, under visual control, into the rectum and through the colon usually as far as the cecum, which is the first part of the colon.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: jan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

Please don't be worried about your colonoscopy, I had mine 6 days ago and I was really nervous. It was nothing at all, I didn't want sedation, only pain relief which was wonderful. I never even noticed they had inserted the camera tube till I saw it on the screen, was in and out in ten minutes, having coffee and toast. It was totally pain free, don't worry yourself, it was fine.

Comment from: busy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and I was really dreading having it done. The worse bit was having to take the medicine powders to clear your bowels. I did not need to be sedated and chose Ethonox (gas and air). Slightly painful at times, but didn't last too long. Half hour later I was on my way home. If I did need to have another one again I would choose Ethonox again.