Cosmetic Allergies - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cosmetic allergies?

Please select the white circle:

What causes cosmetics reactions?

Untoward reactions to cosmetics seem to be rare considering their extensive use. Documented allergic sensitivity is even rarer. This may be partly due to the fact that affected individuals may just stop using the offending product rather than complain about it to a professional. Cosmetics may irritate the skin directly (by far the most common type of reaction) or induce an immune-mediated allergic response. Usually irritation would occur the first time a cosmetic is applied, as opposed to an allergic reaction which would require repeated exposures. Some individuals have extremely sensitive skin that seems to be intolerant to most cosmetics.

Return to Makeup Allergy

Comment from: Cantuseanything, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I seem to have a reaction to everything. I get breakout-like bumps that take forever to go away. I am allergic to nickel and laundry detergents. I am using chemical-free makeup and that seems to be helping. But I still have a reaction around my hairline and scalp. I have a hard time finding hair products. I think glycols could be my problem, but I would really like to have the blood test to verify if it is in fact an allergy.