Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

Please select the black square:

What are corticosteroids?

Corticosteroids are a class of medications that are related to cortisone, a steroid. Medications of this class powerfully reduce inflammation. They are used to reduce the inflammation caused by a variety of diseases. Cortisone is one type of corticosteroid. For the purpose of this review, "cortisone" is used interchangeably with "corticosteroid."

Corticosteroids can be taken by mouth, inhaled, applied to the skin, given intravenously (into a vein), or injected into the tissues of the body. Examples of corticosteroids include prednisone and prednisolone (given by mouth), methylprednisolone sodium succinate injection (Solu-Medrol) (given intravenously), as well as triamcinolone (Kenalog), betamethasone (Celestone), methylprednisolone (Depo-Medrol), and others (given by injection into body tissues). This article describes the role of cortisone injections into the soft tissues and joints.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: Jeanne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I've been having cortisone injections in both knees for two years now, every six to seven months. Doctor freezes the area with a spray, injects the needle and voila! Great! Of course, there's a little pinch when the needle goes through the skin, and a weird feeling of fullness as the cortisone is pumped in, but other than that, I have no problems. No side effects and no pain. I resume my normal activities, drive myself home from the doctor's office. I'm now deciding about cortisone injection for my right hip. I will see the orthopedic surgeon next week for consultation. I'm a cortisone believer!

Comment from: FL Boomer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had meniscus surgery on my left knee in 1997, and was doing fine until 7/15. I played water volleyball and started having knee pain again and started experiencing knee 'giving out'. I'm bone on bone with arthritis, and received cortisone injection in July. I had no side effects and am back in the water again, but have occasional twinges of pain in my knee. I would prefer not to have knee replacement, and hope that I can get by with the cortisone shots.