Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

What are corticosteroids?

Corticosteroids are a class of medications that are related to cortisone, a steroid. Medications of this class powerfully reduce inflammation. They are used to reduce the inflammation caused by a variety of diseases. Cortisone is one type of corticosteroid. For the purpose of this review, "cortisone" is used interchangeably with "corticosteroid."

Corticosteroids can be taken by mouth, inhaled, applied to the skin, given intravenously (into a vein), or injected into the tissues of the body. Examples of corticosteroids include prednisone and prednisolone (given by mouth), methylprednisolone sodium succinate injection (Solu-Medrol) (given intravenously), as well as triamcinolone (Kenalog), betamethasone (Celestone), methylprednisolone (Depo-Medrol), and others (given by injection into body tissues). This article describes the role of cortisone injections into the soft tissues and joints.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: kaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had shoulder bursitis and tendon damage. I lived with it for 25 years, my arm was numb and I was always in pain, and tense. I had cortisone injections about 5 or 6 times. It works beautifully but now I have a side effect; cataract on the eye of the same right hand side. I was also prescribed Lyrica. Again works beautifully; with the same listed side effect, cataract. So now I am taking codeine to help me sleep.

Comment from: Nanel, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 28

I recently finished a series of lumbar cortisone shots for a back injury. The last shot produced some strange reactions. The day after, I awoke with heightened sensory perceptions. Objects were brighter, sounds louder, smells stronger, and thoughts clearer; very psychedelic. Then I began having rapid heartbeat, pulse and my blood pressure skyrocketed. I had profuse sweating. Now 5 days later, I am on the mend. I thought. However, a red, flat, itchy, painful rash appeared under my breasts streaking down my torso. I thought it might be heat rash. My previous injections had no side effects, indicating to me, personally, that this might be a cumulative effect.