Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

What are corticosteroids?

Corticosteroids are a class of medications that are related to cortisone, a steroid. Medications of this class powerfully reduce inflammation. They are used to reduce the inflammation caused by a variety of diseases. Cortisone is one type of corticosteroid. For the purpose of this review, "cortisone" is used interchangeably with "corticosteroid."

Corticosteroids can be taken by mouth, inhaled, applied to the skin, given intravenously (into a vein), or injected into the tissues of the body. Examples of corticosteroids include prednisone and prednisolone (given by mouth), methylprednisolone sodium succinate injection (Solu-Medrol) (given intravenously), as well as triamcinolone (Kenalog), betamethasone (Celestone), methylprednisolone (Depo-Medrol), and others (given by injection into body tissues). This article describes the role of cortisone injections into the soft tissues and joints.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: Harmony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I had one cortisone shot in my left knee that worked beautifully for about 4 months. About a year later I got another one that only lasted about 3 weeks. I got the shot in Minneapolis and both times it felt like I was getting an electric shock. I have read how people say it was painless, but both times I thought I was going to pass out from the pain and I'm a person with a pretty high tolerance for pain. I am still in pain and haven't had another shot for over 3 years, because the pain of the injection just isn't worth it.

Comment from: kaz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I had shoulder bursitis and tendon damage. I lived with it for 25 years, my arm was numb and I was always in pain, and tense. I had cortisone injections about 5 or 6 times. It works beautifully but now I have a side effect; cataract on the eye of the same right hand side. I was also prescribed Lyrica. Again works beautifully; with the same listed side effect, cataract. So now I am taking codeine to help me sleep.