Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a cortisone injection.

What are corticosteroids?

Corticosteroids are a class of medications that are related to cortisone, a steroid. Medications of this class powerfully reduce inflammation. They are used to reduce the inflammation caused by a variety of diseases. Cortisone is one type of corticosteroid. For the purpose of this review, "cortisone" is used interchangeably with "corticosteroid."

Corticosteroids can be taken by mouth, inhaled, applied to the skin, given intravenously (into a vein), or injected into the tissues of the body. Examples of corticosteroids include prednisone and prednisolone (given by mouth), methylprednisolone sodium succinate injection (Solu-Medrol) (given intravenously), as well as triamcinolone (Kenalog), betamethasone (Celestone), methylprednisolone (Depo-Medrol), and others (given by injection into body tissues). This article describes the role of cortisone injections into the soft tissues and joints.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: Brandon wife, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I recently received a cortisone shot in my right knee, it was my first one on my knee. I experienced pain shortly after the shot, an ice pack helped with the pain, but I still needed to take a pill for the pain. It's been three days and I now have headaches and my neck aches. My knee is doing better but I'm dealing with the other issues.

Comment from: shotzi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a cortisone injection 5 days ago and ever since the day after, I have had panic attacks, anxiety, depression, feelings of suicide and I can't take it anymore. I am on Ativan and it's just not helping. I will never have an injection again. I feel like I am losing my mind.