Cortisone Injection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a Cortisone Injection.

Please select the black square:

What are corticosteroids?

Corticosteroids are a class of medications that are related to cortisone, a steroid. Medications of this class powerfully reduce inflammation. They are used to reduce the inflammation caused by a variety of diseases. Cortisone is one type of corticosteroid. For the purpose of this review, "cortisone" is used interchangeably with "corticosteroid."

Corticosteroids can be taken by mouth, inhaled, applied to the skin, given intravenously (into a vein), or injected into the tissues of the body. Examples of corticosteroids include prednisone and prednisolone (given by mouth), methylprednisolone sodium succinate injection (Solu-Medrol) (given intravenously), as well as triamcinolone (Kenalog), betamethasone (Celestone), methylprednisolone (Depo-Medrol), and others (given by injection into body tissues). This article describes the role of cortisone injections into the soft tissues and joints.

Return to Cortisone Injection

Comment from: vieja, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had two cortisone injections for hip bursitis. I got instant relief but it only lasted two days. When I got the second injection it was a much stronger dose. Relief was not immediate but soon. Again it did not last but the pain came back with a vengeance. Now my pain is so severe I have to back into the car in order to get in. I am going through physiotherapy now but that does not seem to be helping either but it is still early so I will keep going and hope for the best. They have me on isometric exercises.

Comment from: Al Gorithm, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

Today I received a cortisone injection in my left shoulder to relieve pain brought on by bicep tendonitis. I told the doctor I was also being tormented by itchy eyes and he said the cortisone would relieve those allergy symptoms. He was right. Not only is my shoulder much better, but more importantly, I have relief from the allergy symptoms I have been enduring since St. Patrick's Day. Oh what a relief it is!

Stay Informed!