Wisdom Teeth - Removal Complications

Please share your experience with wisdom teeth removal.

Please select the black square:

What are the potential risks and complications of wisdom teeth extraction?

Although the postoperative recovery is usually uneventful, problems can occur. The most common adverse occurrence of a wisdom tooth extraction is a dry socket or alveolar osteitis. This condition is created when the blood clot in the surgical site accidentally dislodges. Once this occurs the bone along the extraction socket can become inflamed and painful. If a dry socket occurs the surgeon should be contacted. This complication is easily treated and often resolves quickly with a packing medication or stimulation of a new blood clot. More serious complications are rare but can include injury to the adjacent inferior alveolar nerve or problems with the temporomandibular joint as a result of trauma to the area. The potential risks of wisdom tooth extraction should be reviewed with your dentist. If a wisdom tooth is deemed compromised, removal of the tooth in adolescence is advantageous to extracting the tooth in late adulthood. Discussion with your dentist about the condition of the wisdom teeth and timeline for the extractions is important and will help minimize complications.

Return to Wisdom Teeth

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

This has been a horrible experience. I had 2 wisdom teeth removed, and had dry socket the next day. Follow all of the instructions after the surgery to avoid this. Read all of the information that is given to you. It is very painful, don"t risk it. Good luck.

Comment from: Jim-in-Creedmoor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

I was apprehensive about my wisdom teeth removal. At age 61 I developed a cavity which my normal dentist did not notice. When I changed dentists, I was told my #1 wisdom tooth was decayed and needed to be extracted. I delayed having it done, but it was painless, quick, relatively cheap at $227 and quite the non-issue. I now have my 28 non-wisdom and not a cavity or repair in any of them.

Stay Informed!