Heat Rash - Home Remedies

What home remedies have you tried for a heat rash?

Home remedies for heat rash

Heat rash often resolves on its own when the skin cools. If the prickly sensation persists, calamine lotion may be helpful. Some clinicians also recommend over-the-counter hydrocortisone creams or sprays.

Some people suggest that vitamin A or vitamin C creams may be effective to treat heat rash, and though there is no evidence that they work, there is little harm in these treatments.

Return to Heat Rash

Comment from: Grammy, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 22

My grandson came down with heat rash and has had it for five days now. OTCs didn't work. Benadryl didn't work. In desperation for him to finally have a good day and night, I went back to oatmeal and rubbing alcohol. I know people won't like the rubbing alcohol thing, but it worked for him. I gave him a cool bath with oatmeal and alcohol swirled into the water. I used a soft washcloth to wash him down --this aided in cooling him quicker. I keep a bowl with cool water and rubbing alcohol with a washcloth handy until I start to see it subsiding. This gives temporary relief, but there isn't much more I can do.

Comment from: Noamie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

This works for me: Clean the area with rubbing alcohol. This will sting, perhaps sting badly. Let dry. Next, apply Freeman"s Facial Clay Mask, Mint & Lemon flavor to the area. Do not over-apply. This will cool and soothe the area. Allow to air dry. Then carefully remove the dried clay mask with a damp, soft, cotton towel. I do this only once, per day. At night, apply a thin layer of a prescription steroid cream, Fluocinonide (USP, 0.05%) to the area. Do not over-apply. Your goal is to first clean the pores and open the skin, then to assist the healing process. Too many topical solutions just clog it up again. I do not have severe heat rash so I see noticeable results in one day. I would be interested if this works for others.