Scars - Treatments

What were the treatments of your scars?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for a scar?

Since scars are part of the normal healing process, ordinary scars are not treated. Only scars that are likely to become cosmetically undesirable are considered treatable. This would include scars in those who are predisposed to develop keloids, as well as scars in anatomical regions known to produce thick scars and scars that produce a significant, unpleasant distortion of adjacent anatomical structures. Thick scars and keloids often flatten out after injections of steroids directly into the fibrous scar tissue. They can respond to the chronic application of pressure and the application of sheets of silicone rubber. Thick scars can be flattened by dermabrasion, which utilizes abrasive devices to sand down elevated scars. Certain types of depressed scars can be elevated by the injection of a cosmetic skin filler. Certain types of facial scarring respond well to forms of laser treatments. Occasionally, surgical revision of scars can result in a different scar that is much more desirable. Since it takes about a year for scars to mature, it is frequently prudent to wait before starting any invasive treatment.

Return to Scars

Comment from: paleo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I have severe leg scarring as the result of surgical removal of melanoma some 2 years ago. I apply various creams and am currently trying aloe vera, but not much success so far.

Comment from: thiyagarajan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 29

I have a coin-sized scar below my eyes on the right side and I went to a doctor (dermatologist). He told me to take laser peel treatment for scar removal, and I took it for every month one sitting and I continued for four months after which there is no improvement. He gave a lot of cream and tablets, which don"t work for me; the following medicine were given to me: 1. Vaniza gel, 2. kojic acid dipalmitate, 3. desonide cream, 4. hydrocortisone aceponate cream, 5. Tri O Bloc, 6. sunscreen Ecron total SPF 15, 7. Maxepa tablet for 2 months, and 8. Oxidation Plus for one month.