Hodgkin's Disease - Symptoms

What were the early symptoms of your Hodgkin's disease?

Please select the white circle:

Hodgkin's lymphoma facts*

*Hodgkin's lymphoma facts medical author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

• Hodgkin's lymphoma is a type of lymphoma (cancer of the lymphatic system).
  • The most common symptom of Hodgkin's lymphoma is a painless swelling in the lymph nodes in the neck, underarm, or groin.
  • Some of those affected have other symptoms like fever, night sweats, fatigue, itching, or weakness.
  • Hodgkin's lymphoma is most common among teens and adults aged 15 to 35 years and adults aged 55 years and older.
  • Risk factors may include a weakened immune system, HIV or EBV infection, and a family history of the disease.
  • Hodgkin's lymphoma is diagnosed when abnormal tissue is detected by a pathologist after a biopsy of an enlarged lymph node.
  • The abnormal cells in Hodgkin's lymphoma are called Reed-Sternberg cells.
  • Staging of Hodgkin's lymphoma refers to the extent of spread of the abnormal cells within the body.
  • Imaging studies such as CT scanning, MRI, or PET scanning may be done to determine the stage of Hodgkin's lymphoma.
  • Treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma depends on the symptoms, stage and location of disease, as well as the age and health of the patient.
  • Treatment of Hodgkin's lymphoma usually includes radiation therapy or chemotherapy.
  • Regular follow-up examinations are important after treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma. Patients treated for Hodgkin's lymphoma have an increased risk of developing other types of cancer later in life, especially leukemia.
Return to Hodgkin's Disease

Comment from: Juls, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My Hodgkin's disease started back in 1991. I had been extremely fatigued but was busy with college and wedding plans and thought nothing of it. I also had itchy skin and then developed a pretty bad cough. I noticed I had large swelling at the base of my neck. That is what prompted me to go to the doctor. After a week of it still being there, I went back to the doctor who then sent me to a general surgeon for a biopsy and after the biopsy they did a post-op chest X-ray and could tell that it was most likely Hodgkin's disease, and it was. I was then referred to an oncologist and went through eight months of chemo (ABVD) and six weeks of radiation. I have been cancer-free ever since.

Comment from: Lana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in April 1996. I was pregnant (Age: 30/31) when my symptoms first started. (I had my baby in January 1996.) I was extremely fatigued. I had night sweats that would saturate the sheets. (I slept on beach towels!) My back would itch so bad that I literally drew blood scratching it. (This drove me crazy!) I did not experience weight loss. My blood pressure ran extremely low. I had three swollen lymph nodes in my neck. One was egg-sized. I was finally diagnosed when I "demanded" a biopsy of a lymph node in my neck. After my staging tests, I was diagnosed at stage II. Soon after that I started a treatment of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. I have had no recurrences; however, I must admit I have never felt the same since. I tire very easily, have shortness of breath and have gained a lot of weight. (This was never a problem before.) However, I am so thankful to have had these past 13 years to raise my four children!

Stay Informed!