Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Foods and Plants

Do certain vegetables, fruits, or plants cause you to have a photosensitivity reaction? Please share your experience.

Please select the white circle:

Can any foods or plants cause sun sensitivity (photosensitivity) reactions?

Some vegetables and plants may cause sun sensitivity if they come into contact with the skin. Mango peel, lime juice, parsnips, or celery, for example, may cause temporary discoloration (darkening) of the skin contact area when in the sun. Common phototoxic fruits and vegetables include:

• Lime
  • Celery
  • Carrots
  • Figs
  • Parsley
  • Parsnips
  • Mango peel
Return to Sun-Sensitive Drugs (Photosensitivity to Drugs)

Comment from: Catya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I developed photosensitivity after taking St. John's wort for 2 weeks. It started with skin sensitivity where even brushing up against a hard object would feel like a burning, scratching sensation and a constant feeling of heat under the skin, particularly on my hands, arms and feet. I then noticed that going out in the sun exacerbated the burning feeling in a very unpleasant way. Once I got out of the sun I noticed that any metal or anything cool, like water for example, felt icy cold on my skin, and I was sunburnt.