Sun-Sensitive Drugs - Symptoms

Describe your reaction or symptoms to a sun-sensitive medication. When did symptoms appear?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of sun sensitivity (photosensitivity)?

Symptoms of phototoxic reaction

Individuals with phototoxic reactions may initially complain of a burning and stinging sensation. Then the redness typically occurs within 24 hours of the exposure to sun in the exposed areas of the body such as the forehead, nose, hands, arms, and lips. In severe cases, the sun protected areas of skin may be also be involved.

The range of skin damage may vary from mild redness to swelling to blister formation (bullae) in more severe cases. The rash from this photosensitivity reaction usually resolves with sloughing off (desquamation) of the affected area within several days.

Symptoms of photoallergic reactions

Individuals with photoallergic reactions may initially complain of itching (pruritus). This is then followed by redness and possibly swelling and eruption of the involved area. Because this is considered an allergic reaction, there may be no symptoms for many days when the drug is taken for the first time. Subsequent exposure to the drug and the sun may cause a more rapid response in 1-2 days.

Hyperpigmentation after reaction

Hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the affected area of the skin may develop after the resolution of a phototoxicity reaction, but it is rare in a photoallergic reaction. In phototoxic reactions, high doses of the drug and long exposures to light may be required to cause the reaction.

Return to Sun-Sensitive Drugs (Photosensitivity to Drugs)

Comment from: margot, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have taken 12.5 mg of hydrochlorothiazide for 4 years. This past year for several times my face will get swollen, red, itchy, burn and it seems to have happened when I am outside and especially driving in the car (we do not have tinted windows). After 4 or 5 days the swelling and redness goes down and my face and throat area get scaly and tight. The doctor finally told me to stop taking hydrochlorothiazide and I find I still have those symptoms although not as severe. It was interesting to me to read on this website that this can occur even after the hydrochlorothiazide should be out of my system. I hope it stops soon. I took my picture at a time of one of my episodes. I wish I could post it for you to see. My brother-in-law also was on hydrochlorothiazide for a while. He was barefoot in the sand and his feet swelled up and got red and itchy. The pharmacist told him to stop taking it.