Nausea And Vomiting - Experience

Please describe your experience with nausea and vomiting.

Please select the black triangle:

Introduction to nausea and vomiting

Nausea and vomiting are symptoms of an underlying illness and not a specific disease. Nausea is the sensation that the stomach wants to empty itself, while vomiting (emesis) or throwing up, is the act of forcible emptying of the stomach. The term "dry heaves" refers to an episode of vomiting where there is no food in the stomach to vomit, and only clear secretions are vomited.

Vomiting is a violent act in which the stomach almost turns itself inside out - forcing itself into the lower portion of the esophagus (the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach) during a vomiting episode, expelling food and secretions.

Return to Nausea and Vomiting

Comment from: JoeYouKnow, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had severe bouts of vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea all my life. Over the years, it has gotten worse. I had an upper and lower GI done and they discovered that I had acid reflux and IBS. However, sometimes I experience something else entirely where I vomit profusely for hours. I also have Meniere's, which triggers my vomiting. However, for the past three weeks, I have been vomiting nonstop. I dropped 10 pounds in two days, and I can't hold anything down. I don't know if it's a virus or a parasite, but I have this weird feeling in my stomach. It almost feels like hunger, but it's different. I have no appetite. I'm not stressed out at all, and I don't worry about life normally, but I would really like to stop vomiting. Along with diarrhea, my feces have been green. I can't even hold any of the BRAT diet down. I don't know how much longer my body can take it, I feel like I'm on the verge of collapsing. Nausea can be caused by Meniere's, but not vomiting like this. I don't have stomach cramps, like from IBS, and I'm not burning from acid reflux.

Comment from: rcy, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 15

My wife has had constant nausea for the last year. Local doctors have no reason, nor does the Mayo Clinic. It can leave almost immediately and then return in an hour. Sometimes she will vomit, but no food. Food does not seem to cause the nausea, she can eat while nauseated but she rarely vomits after eating. Most of the time the nausea is the worst during the night time.