Postherpetic Neuralgia - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)?

Please select the white circle:

What are postherpetic neuralgia symptoms and signs?

The main symptom is pain. The pain can be severe (allodynia); patients describe the pain as burning, sharp, jabbing, deep, and aching. Often, the patient feels increased pain when any pressure, even clothing, touches the area. Some patients describe itchy skin and weakness or paralysis of the area.

Return to Postherpetic Neuralgia

Comment from: peedee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I have postherpetic neuralgia (PHN) for 8 years and I agree with the others that it's the most awful pain to have. I never have shingles with the rash, I was told that you can get the shingle virus without having a rash. My pain is on the left side, I describe the pain as someone putting an electrical volt and shocking me with it. Then it also has a stabbing pain. Every breath I take causes spasms. I scream with pain at times. It's awful.

Comment from: owlish, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I got over the shingles fine, it was on my head, on the right side. However, it was followed by the worst case of sciatica I have ever had, in my right leg, from my buttock to my ankle and even my toes. I thought it was just a coincidence. But it continued to get worse. Then I discovered ice, which seemed to reduce the pain enough so I could sleep at night, and I took coated aspirin, four 81 mg tablets every 4 hours. The pain lingered, and then it seemed to be getting better and I could walk again without pain. But I noted with surprise that I suddenly had allodynia (hypersensitivity to touch, with a fiery pain resulting) in my upper leg at the top of my thigh, right side. Clearly, what I thought was really bad sciatica was postherpetic neuralgia (PHN). It's getting slowly better, but I am surprised, since I thought the pain if I got PHN would be on my head, where I had the rash. Nope.