Postherpetic Neuralgia - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)?

What are postherpetic neuralgia symptoms and signs?

The main symptom is pain. The pain can be severe (allodynia); patients describe the pain as burning, sharp, jabbing, deep, and aching. Often, the patient feels increased pain when any pressure, even clothing, touches the area. Some patients describe itchy skin and weakness or paralysis of the area.

Return to Postherpetic Neuralgia

Comment from: Peanuts, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I am a rare case who developed shingles at the age of 18. I have suffered for years and last year at the age of 57 I developed postherpetic neuralgia (PHN). I thought shingles pain was bad. Was I in for a big surprise! The pain of PHN is excruciating and it lasts for months. It"s now been a year later and I had numerous outbreaks of shingles due to a great deal of stress in my life followed by PHN, the pain is in my leg, deep, gnawing, can"t lay down, sit down, don"t want anything to touch my leg. It"s horrible. I take acyclovir for shingles and opioids for the pain but it does not help much. I do not wish this upon anyone. Get the shingles vaccination is my advice.

Comment from: gfergo, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I have shingles for over 6 months and although the shingles have gone after the first month, the postherpetic neuralgia pain still exists in the area around my left eye where it started. It is not an intense pain now, but extreme numbness in the eye brow and surrounding area; also pressure points on the head where touching these points hurts like the dickens. I have tried all kinds of prescription pain killers, also low dosage Elavil, high dosage Lyrica... nothing works! What works the best is cold on the pain area!