Macular Degeneration - Age

How old were you when you received a diagnosis of macular degeneration? What has been its progression?

What is age-related macular degeneration (AMD)?

Although there are many types of macular degeneration, age-related macular degeneration (AMD or ARMD) is by far the most common type. AMD is a disease associated with aging that gradually destroys sharp central vision that is needed for seeing objects clearly and for common daily tasks such as reading and driving. In some cases, AMD advances so slowly that people notice little change in their vision. In others, the disease progresses faster and may lead to a loss of vision in both eyes. AMD is the leading cause of vision loss in Americans 60 years of age and older. AMD usually affects both eyes, although the clinical appearance and degree of visual loss may vary a great deal between the two eyes.

AMD occurs in two forms. "Wet" age-related macular degeneration is less common but more aggressive in its progression to severe central vision loss. "Dry" age-related macular degeneration is the more common type and is more slowly progressive in causing visual loss..

Return to Macular Degeneration

Comment from: nannymar, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have just been diagnosed with the dry macular degeneration. I"m a female, age 83. It"s been about 6 months since I first noticed a smudge in the center of my glasses, which of course wasn"t a smudge at all. My mother was diagnosed with it when she was in her early 90s and died shortly after her 100th birthday. I"m now taking an eye vitamin and using lubricating drops several times a day.

Comment from: Mathew, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I am just 21 and I seem to have a macular degeneration. First I was diagnosed with retinal hemorrhage. Later they observed it had no blood vessels inside but my vision seems to gets worse day by day. It happened only in the left eye. I went for a checkup after two months, they said I am free from the internal hemorrhage. I told them I still found no difference. I had a blurred blind spot exactly on my left central vision. They said they can"t do anything about it. They said the scars are the reason I am having a blurred vision and it is going to be there. I really need someone to help me. I still have to make a lot of leaps in my career. Now that I have done some research I found myself applicable on this case. And I didn"t receive any treatment.