Macular Degeneration - Age

How old were you when you received a diagnosis of macular degeneration? What has been its progression?

Please select the white circle:

What is age-related macular degeneration (AMD)?

Although there are many types of macular degeneration, age-related macular degeneration (AMD or ARMD) is by far the most common type. AMD is a disease associated with aging that gradually destroys sharp central vision that is needed for seeing objects clearly and for common daily tasks such as reading and driving. In some cases, AMD advances so slowly that people notice little change in their vision. In others, the disease progresses faster and may lead to a loss of vision in both eyes. AMD is the leading cause of vision loss in Americans 60 years of age and older. AMD usually affects both eyes, although the clinical appearance and degree of visual loss may vary a great deal between the two eyes.

AMD occurs in two forms. "Wet" age-related macular degeneration is less common but more aggressive in its progression to severe central vision loss. "Dry" age-related macular degeneration is the more common type and is more slowly progressive in causing visual loss..

Return to Macular Degeneration

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I was recently diagnosed with dry macular degeneration at the age of 76. There is no known history of it in my family. I am a type II diabetic. I am taking PreserVision.

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was diagnosed at age 56 with dry AMD (age-related macular degeneration) and now, at 61, with wet AMD. I have received 2 intraocular injections of Avastin with 80 percent reduction of the macular swelling after the first; enough that I may not need another injection next month. Yay! AMD is prevalent on one side of my family, and my brother was diagnosed with it about the same age as I was.