Vitiligo - Personal Experience

With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.

What is vitiligo?

Vitiligo (vit-ill-EYE-go) is a disorder in which white patches of skin appear on different parts of the body. This happens because the cells that make pigment (color) in the skin are destroyed. These cells are called melanocytes (ma-LAN-o-sites). Vitiligo can also affect the mucous membranes (such as the tissue inside the mouth and nose) and the eye.

Return to Vitiligo

Comment from: gold_73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

The vitiligo started when I was 9 years old. My ankles started itching and I started scratching. Then I noticed small white spots on either side of my ankles. I tried to hide it from my parents and failed. Off to the doctor"s we go. Next thing I know I get the same prescription for a hydro-cortisone cream my mom had for liver spots! Later on my Mom explained to me that, "there is a bug under your skin eating away the pigment." Lucky for me, 4 years later the news broke about Michael Jackson, so I finally had an answer to all the "Were you burned? Car accident? Scars?" questions I loathe. I am affected with vitiligo on both eyelids, armpits, wrists, hands, ankles, top of feet, inner thighs, stomach, and genital regions, my scalp in spots prompting me to dye my hair since I was 14, and the back of my neck. I have never consulted a doctor as an adult and simply dealt with it by avoiding sun exposure and sandals, etc.

Comment from: Tztz, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

My father had vitiligo on his wrist, my nephew has it bi-laterally on his knees (brother's side of family), and my niece from my husband side of the family has it on her knees and thigh area too. I noticed my two year old started getting patches on his feet. My husband thought that his feet were dirty but I noticed it right away. Today he's 6 years old and it has spread to his knees, he has patches on his wrist and knuckles, some areas on his bottom and big areas on his groin. He also has patches on his chest, under his armpits and around moles. I even notice it in his eyelids. He is so handsome. Kids are always asking him what's wrong with his skin. He is so innocent, he replies, 'nothing is wrong!' He has vitiligo and if someone ever tries to make him feel he's different, that someone is insecure of themselves! Your imperfections are beautiful and that's what makes you who you are! Accept it! Embrace it! That's what defines you.