Vitiligo - Personal Experience

With your first symptoms, did you suspect vitiligo or think it might be something else? Please describe your experience.

Please select the white circle:

What is vitiligo?

Vitiligo (vit-ill-EYE-go) is a disorder in which white patches of skin appear on different parts of the body. This happens because the cells that make pigment (color) in the skin are destroyed. These cells are called melanocytes (ma-LAN-o-sites). Vitiligo can also affect the mucous membranes (such as the tissue inside the mouth and nose) and the eye.

Return to Vitiligo

Comment from: AK Mom, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 11

My youngest son has had vitiligo since he was 2 or 3. We did not know that was what it was called and I really don"t think any doctors had ever called it by name until he was in his teens. Of course, the doctors said there was no treatment and that it was just where the skin had no pigmentation. He has always been a very handsome boy, and it has never bothered him. He has had people ask him, but he was always so outgoing that it never occurred to the other kids to tease him. He is now a freshman in college and playing college football. After seeing this site I asked him if it ever bothers him, and he laughed and said no. I have read some other peoples stories and it made me sad to see how negative this has affected their lives. My advice to them is, don"t let others put you down, turn it around on them and make it into a joke. It is what is in the inside that will shine out, and that is what people will see.

Comment from: gold_73, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

The vitiligo started when I was 9 years old. My ankles started itching and I started scratching. Then I noticed small white spots on either side of my ankles. I tried to hide it from my parents and failed. Off to the doctor"s we go. Next thing I know I get the same prescription for a hydro-cortisone cream my mom had for liver spots! Later on my Mom explained to me that, "there is a bug under your skin eating away the pigment." Lucky for me, 4 years later the news broke about Michael Jackson, so I finally had an answer to all the "Were you burned? Car accident? Scars?" questions I loathe. I am affected with vitiligo on both eyelids, armpits, wrists, hands, ankles, top of feet, inner thighs, stomach, and genital regions, my scalp in spots prompting me to dye my hair since I was 14, and the back of my neck. I have never consulted a doctor as an adult and simply dealt with it by avoiding sun exposure and sandals, etc.