Vitiligo - Coping

What coping methods have helped you in dealing with the emotional and psychological issues associated with vitiligo?

Please select the white circle:

What can people do to cope with vitiligo?

When you have vitiligo, you may be upset or depressed about the change in your appearance. There are several things you can do to cope with the disorder:

• Find a doctor who knows how to treat vitiligo. The doctor should also be a good listener and be able to provide emotional support.
  • Learn about the disorder and treatment choices. This can help you make decisions about your treatment.
  • Talk with other people who have vitiligo. A vitiligo group can help you find a support group (check your local listings). Family and friends are another source of support.

Some people with vitiligo have found that cosmetics that cover the white patches improve their appearance and help them feel better about themselves. A person may need to try several brands of concealing cosmetics before finding the product that works best.

Return to Vitiligo

Comment from: Spots, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with vitiligo by a dermatologist. He also told me I had Graves' disease, anyhow my vitiligo is on my face hands and feet and arms. If I get a scratch or a cut, after it heels my skin then turns white. I am Portuguese and German so my skin is a little darker than average. So I try to wear highest sun screen I can find. But it is still very noticeable. Once I was eating at a restaurant and at the table next to us a little girl said to her mom, look mom, that lady doesn't wash her arms, look how dirty they are. That just broke my heart so ever since then I try not to be out in public and I won't wear shorts or anything that shows too much skin. I hate this skin disorder but what can you do but live on.

Comment from: im ok, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I was first diagnosed at age nine and am now 84. At first I had white spots in only a few areas that stayed dormant until my 30s when it started spreading and kept getting worse. After trying everything, my best course was to stay out of the sun to keep my natural pigment from tanning to avoid a strong contrast. It was difficult because I loved the beach and boating. However, staying out of the sun was a blessing in disguise. People usually guess my age to be 65 or 70 and refer to my skin as "beautiful". My advice is to not fight it and just accept it.