Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches

Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.

Please select the white circle:

Will the white patches spread?

There is no way to tell if vitiligo will spread. For some people, the white patches do not spread. But often the white patches will spread to other areas of the body. For some people, vitiligo spreads slowly, over many years. For other people, spreading occurs quickly. Some people have reported more white patches after physical or emotional stress.

Return to Vitiligo

Comment from: Bri, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 04

When I was younger (age 6) vitiligo started off as small spots. Then over the next 3 years it spread around both of my eyes, some spots on the right side back of my neck, and a tiny patch on my right arm. Being that the vitiligo was mostly on the right side of my body it was called 'segmental vitiligo'. I found that out because I made contact with a doctor in Australia and he diagnosed me then. Around age 10-17 it began to go away greatly. My vitiligo treatment seems like it progressed gradually, the process is slow. I feel that vitiligo treatment is all in your diet and vitamins. All that medicine and UV lights is a no-no. I say that because your body doesnt need all that exposure, and with every medicine there is a side effect. Like, the doctors could be healing your vitiligo and severely damaging you inside and out and you won't know until years later. Stay away from a lot of chocolate too, take your vitamins and eat much protein foods and foods with much antioxidants (like fruits and vegetables). Today is July 31, 2014 and I only have tiny spots around my right eye, neck, and one on my arm.

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

My vitiligo started when I was 5, small spots on my knees, elbows, and ankles. My mom took me to the dermatologist who told her it was vitiligo. And the words that came after have hurt me almost as much as teasing and questions. No known cause and no known cure. That it will cause lack of pigmentation but nothing else that was life threatening. Fast forward 48 years to my present age, I had gone to the emergency room presenting symptoms like heart attack. I had e total cardiac work up and thank goodness no heart problem, but I was diagnosed with diabetes 1.5. Ever heard of it? Called LADA (latent autoimmunediabetesof adults) diabetes caused by guess what? My autoimmune diseases, throwing me into diabetes. And those autoimmune disease were vitiligo, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Epstein Barr Virus. In fact it does harm you! At the time of this illness they thought I had Addison's disease because my adrenals were not working at all. At this time my vitiligo had started traveling very rapidly all over my body and my face. I don't get out in the sun so that helps to diminish the stark contrast I had as a very tan person and now I am ivory. Plus, it affects my eyes. I have sought help all over the United States all my life, from nutritional alternative doctors and traditional doctors. I have tried creams, vitamins, light therapy and none of it helped. I now just keep myself abreast of the research being done. I have had much depression and sadness over this disease so I can relate to all of you. Thank you for listening.