Vitiligo - Depigmented Patches

Describe your type of vitiligo, its location on your body, and the progression of your depigmented patches.

Please select the black square:

Will the white patches spread?

There is no way to tell if vitiligo will spread. For some people, the white patches do not spread. But often the white patches will spread to other areas of the body. For some people, vitiligo spreads slowly, over many years. For other people, spreading occurs quickly. Some people have reported more white patches after physical or emotional stress.

Return to Vitiligo

Comment from: Sher, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 16

My vitiligo started when I was 5, small spots on my knees, elbows, and ankles. My mom took me to the dermatologist who told her it was vitiligo. And the words that came after have hurt me almost as much as teasing and questions. No known cause and no known cure. That it will cause lack of pigmentation but nothing else that was life threatening. Fast forward 48 years to my present age, I had gone to the emergency room presenting symptoms like heart attack. I had e total cardiac work up and thank goodness no heart problem, but I was diagnosed with diabetes 1.5. Ever heard of it? Called LADA (latent autoimmunediabetesof adults) diabetes caused by guess what? My autoimmune diseases, throwing me into diabetes. And those autoimmune disease were vitiligo, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Epstein Barr Virus. In fact it does harm you! At the time of this illness they thought I had Addison's disease because my adrenals were not working at all. At this time my vitiligo had started traveling very rapidly all over my body and my face. I don't get out in the sun so that helps to diminish the stark contrast I had as a very tan person and now I am ivory. Plus, it affects my eyes. I have sought help all over the United States all my life, from nutritional alternative doctors and traditional doctors. I have tried creams, vitamins, light therapy and none of it helped. I now just keep myself abreast of the research being done. I have had much depression and sadness over this disease so I can relate to all of you. Thank you for listening.

Comment from: Attia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

My vitiligo started when I was 10 years old, it started from forehead near to the ears. With the passage of time it moved to the whole body. My mom took me to a skin specialist doctor. He gave me medicine but he also said there are less percentage of people who got cured of this disease. These words are so painful for me. But now I am not taking any medicine for this because it is useless. This has made me psychopathic, and it is hurting me.