Roseola - Children and Rashes

Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.

Please select the black triangle:

Is there a rash with roseola?

Yes, but not in the beginning. When the fever disappears, a rash appears. The rash is mainly located on the neck and torso (the abdomen, trunk, and back), but it can also be on the arms and legs (extremities).

The rash appears as separate little raised dots (papules) or as a flat (macular) rash. The skin is mildly red in color and temporarily blanches with pressure. The rash is not itchy or painful. It is not contagious. The rash lasts two to four days and does not return.

Return to Roseola

Comment from: GrandmaC, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 23

My daughter asked me to pick up my 14 month old grandson from daycare early on Thursday as he wasn't feeling very well. When I got him home his temp was 102+. During the night it wouldn't go lower than 102.even with Tylenol. Took him to the doctor the next day. He had an ear infection even though he had tubes. The doctor prescribed Omnicef. He seemed to respond well. The rash appeared the next evening Saturday.(after 2 doses) As I thought it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, I quit giving it to him until we could get him back into the doctor the next day. Monday, The doctor took one look at him and said the ears were a side note. He had roseola and to continue the antibiotic. The rash started on his tummy and back and spread up his neck into his hairline. Definitely decreased appetite and very fussy.

Comment from: barbieoliver, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My little daughter had a fever that got up to 102.5 for 4 days and then all of a sudden she broke out into a rash of little red bumps all over her body. She was fussy and irritable. She is normally a very happy baby it was so hard to see her that way. She went to the children's emergency room and they said she is contagious and that it should go away after about 4 days.

Stay Informed!