Roseola - Children and Rashes

Describe the appearance and timing of the rash when your child had roseola.

Please select the white circle:

Is there a rash with roseola?

Yes, but not in the beginning. When the fever disappears, a rash appears. The rash is mainly located on the neck and torso (the abdomen, trunk, and back), but it can also be on the arms and legs (extremities).

The rash may appear as separate little raised (goose bump size) dots (papules) or as a flat (macular) rash. The skin is often mildly red in color and temporarily blanches with pressure. The rash is not itchy or painful. It is not contagious. The rash lasts one to two days and does not return.

Return to Roseola

Comment from: barbieoliver, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My little daughter had a fever that got up to 102.5 for 4 days and then all of a sudden she broke out into a rash of little red bumps all over her body. She was fussy and irritable. She is normally a very happy baby it was so hard to see her that way. She went to the children's emergency room and they said she is contagious and that it should go away after about 4 days.

Comment from: ConcernedDad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I was diagnosed with roseola by my family doctor back in January. The rash was very evident but the fevers didn't last more than 2 days. I was led to believe they cycle could last as long 8 to 10 weeks. It is now 16 weeks later and I am still getting rash and the worst part was I got a small rash on my face on my chin.