Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls

If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.

Please select the white circle:

How common are menstrual cramps?

Menstrual cramps of some degree affect more than an estimated 50% of women, and among these, up to 15% would describe their menstrual cramps as severe. Surveys of adolescent girls show that over 90% of girls report having menstrual cramps.

Return to Menstrual Cramps

Comment from: mina, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 19

My daughter, 12 years old, started her period when she was 11. She was doing fine, but about 8 months ago now she's having extremely severe menstrual cramps and bloating, and thigh and butt pain, and she says a twitching sharp pain in lower abdomen and down. I feel pity. No painkillers help her enough. She is missing a lot of school each month due to this. I am clueless as to how to help. I decided to visit the gynecologist this month. I hope there's no issue, and some sensible medicine to help her.

Comment from: Anna, Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I am fourteen now but I started getting my period a little over a year ago. When I got my first period, it was severely painful and lasted 8 days. For the next 6 months my cramps would get worse each month and I would bleed for 8 days. I was missing 3 to 4 days of school each month because of the pain. I went to my doctor and got started on the pill. It worked great for the first month but after that I developed migraines. My doctor took me off the pill during the 2 week long migraine. I would have 3 or 4 migraines a week and my doctor was concerned so she refused to put me back on the pill. So she prescribed me a painkiller meant for cramps. However, it did not work. A few months later I finally got back on the pill but the lowest dosage possible. Then I started having my period every other week. I just recently started on a slightly higher dosage birth control and it solved the irregularity but my cramps are still unbearable. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night screaming in pain.