Menstrual Cramps - Adolescent Girls

If you are under age 18, describe your experience with menstrual cramps.

How common are menstrual cramps?

Menstrual cramps of some degree affect more than an estimated 50% of women, and among these, up to 15% would describe their menstrual cramps as severe. Surveys of adolescent girls show that over 90% of girls report having menstrual cramps.

Return to Menstrual Cramps

Comment from: Kate, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I started my period when I was 16, of course I was a late bloomer for a lot of things. Even in my 20s I have a few baby teeth. My period has always been heavy and moderately to severely painful, not at all what I was told it would be like from my physical education classes. I remember staying home because the pain would get so bad I couldn't move. I still get all the icky symptoms: bloating, back aches, neck and leg pain, moderate cramping, chills or sweats and even cravings for sweets or salty foods depending on my mood. But Advil liquid gels and a heating pad generally do the trick. On my worst days I need stronger pain medication and something to help me sleep.

Comment from: vivi, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I started having cramps in high school. Usually it was just pelvic pain so it would seem like I keep shifting around at my desk due to sitting problems. My flow amount is stable but it starts usually a week early than the date of the last flow. So at some point, it seems like I would skip a month but my next menstrual flow will begin right at the beginning of the next month. Once I hit college, I started taking Thai health tablets that helps improve blood health because a nurse told me I had low iron in my blood back during high school. The side effects I experienced were that my menstrual flow was not heavy and stable and I experienced no cramps at all. However, I soon ran out of tablets and the first menstruation after that was awfully painful. I feel bone pain on my hips, down my thighs, and up my spine. I get nauseous and a little dizzy, sometimes to the point of vomiting. My body also heats up tremendously and I would feel hot even outside during the winter. The pain is unbearable so I usually stay in bed all day. Depending on my schedule, if it was a busy day, I would take Pamprin and within an hour I would feel better. If it wasn't busy, I usually just skip out and stay home with heat pack. I also drink a lot more water because I think it eases the cramps. That's how I deal with my cramps.