Hepatic Hemangioma - Diagnosis

Describe the tests and exams that led to a diagnosis of hepatic hemangioma.

Please select the black square:

How is the diagnosis of a hepatic hemangioma made?

When a hemangioma is suspected, the challenge for the physician is to be sure that it is in fact a hemangioma and not another type of tumor, particularly a malignant one. With specialized tests, however, doctors can reassure patients that the tumor is with little doubt a hemangioma. Such special testing may include scintigraphy (using a tiny amount of a radioactive substance to identify the hemangioma), CT scanning, or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). In general, a biopsy of suspected hemangiomas is avoided because of their benign nature and the potential risk of bleeding from the biopsy.

Return to Hepatic Hemangioma

Comment from: Vicki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have a number of hemangioma running through and all around my liver. My liver is enlarged to 25.6. I look like a pregnant 60 year old. I've had every study there is, and no one will discuss removing the largest one of 5 cm that runs through my liver. Every once in a while one will bleed and it causes such pain that I have pain pills I keep on hand to keep me out of the emergency room. With so many they won't run the risk of removing one not knowing if it's the one causing all the pain. There must be a liver study somewhere that I could sign up for to see if something can't be done. I can't see living like this.

Comment from: teresa, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had a hemangioma on my liver for a long time. I have scans every so often to watch for any changes. Now that I am older it has grown to 6.7cm x 6.2cm in size. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist in September to go from there.