Hepatic Hemangioma - Treatment

What types of treatment, including surgery, did you receive for a hepatic hemangioma?

Please select the white circle:

What is the treatment for hepatic hemangioma?

The vast majority of hepatic hemangiomas require no treatment. If a hepatic hemangioma is large, especially if it is causing symptoms, surgical removal is an option.

Return to Hepatic Hemangioma

Comment from: Lloyd, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My wife had a liver resection 3 years ago to remove what was described as a giant hepatic hemangioma. Her symptoms included severe pain, nausea, swelling of the liver. Now, a much smaller hepatic hemangioma is causing her intense pain, nausea, dizziness, and swelling of the liver. We have not been able to see a surgeon, but she needs one badly. She was warned not to take pain medication, so she is in agony! My sister died of hemangioma when she was 52 years old, when the multiple cysts turned malignant.

Comment from: Jim, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I just had surgery for my benign hemangioma between the liver and stomach. The surgeon used four small cuts in the upper abdomen and one "C" section type incision on the bikini line. "Junior" was 7 cm at his greatest dimension. It was discovered by a CT scan to diagnose and locate diverticulitis inflammations. The radiologist asked to do a biopsy, wisely deferred to an oncology surgeon because of the possibility of bleeding and release of malignant cells. There was considerable soreness at the bikini cut, but the others are just itchy. The most painful part of the surgery was having a urinary catheter. This is my only experience with that so I don"t know if there is a less pain with an expert or not. The shots to prevent blood clots would be rated 4 and 8 on a ten scale, 10 being a scream. The shot in fat on the side near the pelvic bone was a 4 while the one in the love handles where we are most ticklish was at least an 8. Placement of IV ports where the hands can be used to push and pull helped avoid pulling stomach muscles. I spent about 36 hours in the hospital, two days tapering off Percocet. I had noticed a fullness even when not eating, but no pain or nausea.