Rotavirus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with rotavirus.

What is rotavirus?

Rotavirus is a virus that infects the bowels. Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among infants and children throughout the world and causes the death of about 500,000 children worldwide annually. The name rotavirus comes from the characteristic wheel-like appearance of the virus when viewed by electron microscopy (the name rotavirus is derived from the Latin rota, meaning "wheel").

Since 2006, vaccination has been available for rotavirus infection. Prior to the availability of a vaccine, almost all children became infected with rotavirus by their third birthday. Repeat infections with different viral strains are possible, and most children had several episodes of rotavirus infection in the first years of life. After several infections with different strains of the virus, children acquire immunity to rotavirus. Babies and toddlers between the ages of 6 and 24 months are at greatest risk for developing severe disease from rotavirus infection. Adults sometimes become infected, but the resulting illness is usually mild.

Worldwide, rotavirus infection is still a significant cause of death in infants and children. Rotavirus affects populations in all socioeconomic groups and is equally prevalent in industrialized and developing countries, so differences in sanitation practices or water supply are not likely to affect the incidence of the infection.

In the U.S., rotavirus infections usually peak in the fall months in the Southwest and spread to the Northeast by spring, so infections are most common during the winter months from November to May. However, infection with rotavirus can occur anytime of the year.

Return to Rotavirus

Comment from: SinCGirlNY, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I got this rotavirus from goodness knows where but it is the worst. I was feeling ok, then at 4:30 AM I couldn't stop throwing up and the runs were the worst. I had to get 2 IV bags of fluid and I'm still not great. I can keep food down but I still have the runs and my tummy is grumbling so loud. I don't wish this on anyone. I wash my hands all the time but I work with small children and I have a feeling I caught it from them. All I can say is go to the doctor and get fluids. It is a must, without those 2 IV bags I would be in the hospital for sure. I'm 44 years old and this is just a kid thing.

Comment from: julie, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My daughter picked up rotavirus from her cousin when she was 3. She had severe vomiting and diarrhea and was diagnosed by her pediatrician. The virus destroyed the healthy bacteria in her intestines, and she was lactose intolerant for a full six months after the infection. We had to very gradually reintroduce milk/dairy. It took a full year for her system to be back to normal and able to digest dairy.