Alopecia Areata - Patterns

What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?

Please select the white circle:

What are the different patterns of alopecia areata?

The most common pattern is one or more well-defined spots of hair loss on the scalp. There is also a form of more generalized loss of hair referred to as diffuse alopecia areata throughout the scalp. Occasionally, all of the scalp hair is lost, a condition referred to as alopecia totalis. Less frequently, the loss of all of the hairs on the entire body, called alopecia universalis, occurs.

Return to Alopecia Areata

Comment from: No telling, 55-64 (Patient) Published: June 19

My hair started to fall out when I was about 45. It was devastating, especially when I looked up what alopecia is. I had not had any more significant hair loss for over 10 years, but now at 59 I am having a lot of hair loss. It grew back but it starting falling out, and it took it about a year. I am reading everything that everyone is suggesting to help. I just want it to grow back; not only for me, but also for everybody else.

Comment from: Marianne25, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had alopecia areata since I was 12. The pattern I have is similar to the previous poster. When something very stressful happens in my life, I usually get 1 to 3 spots. Sometimes I will get way more. I get cortisone injections and they usually go away rather quickly. However, I have one extremely stubborn spot on the side of my head that has not changed even though I have had injections done twice.