Vitiligo - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your vitiligo?

Please select the black triangle:

How is vitiligo treated?

Treatment may help make the skin look more even. The choice of treatment depends on:

• The number of white patches
  • How widespread the patches are
  • The treatment the person prefers to use.

Some treatments are not right for everyone. Many treatments can have unwanted side effects. Treatments can take a long time, and sometimes they don't work.

Current treatment options for vitiligo include medical, surgical, and other treatments. Most treatments are aimed at restoring color to the white patches of skin.

Medical treatments include:

• Medicines (such as creams) that you put on the skin
  • Medicines that you take by mouth
  • A treatment that uses medicine plus ultraviolet A (UVA) light (PUVA)
  • Removing the color from other areas so they match the white patches.

Surgical treatments include:

• Skin grafts from a person's own tissues. The doctor takes skin from one area of a patient's body and attaches it to another area. This is sometimes used for people with small patches of vitiligo.
  • Tattooing small areas of skin.

Other treatments include:

• Sunscreens
  • Cosmetics, such as makeup or dye, to cover the white patches
  • Counseling and support.
Return to Vitiligo

Comment from: Baljit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had vitiligo since I was about 14 years old. I have vitiligo on my left face area near the chin and cheek. I have tried a lot of different medicines, it would work for a while and then no improvement at all. Someone mentioned coconut oil, again worked for couple of days and none after that. Currently I am applying toothpaste on it and it seems like it is working better than anything I have used so far. But still it will take a while before seeing any major improvements.

Comment from: Louis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with vitiligo 7 months ago. I have been using UVB light therapy 3 times a week as well as rotating Protopic for 2 weeks (morning and night) followed by clobetasol for 2 weeks (morning and night). It"s been a slow process, but with very noticeable results on the biggest patch and no noticeable difference on the smaller ones.