Claudication - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with claudication in you or someone you know?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of claudication?

Pain and cramping in the legs is the main symptom of claudication. Pain can be sharp or dull, aching or throbbing, or burning. The severity of the peripheral artery disease, the location of the plaque, and the activity of the muscles determine the severity of symptoms and location of pain. Calf pain is the most common location for leg cramps. This is because the atherosclerotic plaques often begin in the arteries farthest from the heart. If the blockage or plaque formation is farther up the leg, the pain from claudication may be felt in the thigh. If the blockage is in the aorta (the main artery from the heart to the legs) then symptoms may include pain in the buttocks or groin or erectile dysfunction.

Return to Claudication

Comment from: shona, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

Whenever I do any physical activity, my left leg joint pains a lot. It gives stabbing sensation.

Comment from: construction worker, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 20

I had sharp pains starting in my buttocks that limited my walking to less than 100 yards at first. I took measures for claudication including stopping smoking cold turkey, eliminating sweets and snacks except nuts and apples, and included many healthy spices in my food with a daily regimen of walking and stair stepping exercise. Nothing worked. To increase the distance I walked more than 100 yards or so.