Cataracts - Complications

Did you or someone you know have a complication with a cataract or surgery? Please discuss the experience.

What are complications of cataracts?

Occasionally, a very dense cataract of long-standing duration may enlarge in size and interfere with fluid drainage within the eye. In addition, a far advanced cataract may leak protein into the eye, causing inflammation of the eye. Your doctor will advise you of these possibilities and may recommend surgery to avoid these complications even if the decrease in vision is not bothering you.

The presence of a cataract may make evaluation of diseases of the retina more difficult, since the physician must look through the cataract to examine the retina.

Return to Cataracts

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had cataract surgery recently. My eye is still blurry. My doctor said it would take a few weeks before I would see clearly again. I have friends who said they could see clearly the next day.

Comment from: Jak, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had blurry vision, and a cataract removed from one eye. I"m in England, but there"s more info on USA sites, and very little information was given to me at the hospital (NHS not private healthcare). I had terrible visual hallucinations afterwards, I"d not been warned this can happen. They disappeared after a while. I went back for a check-up as I had a mass of floaters, and also lights flashing and silvery halos. I was told it was debris trapped and sealed in when the cataract was removed and a new lens inserted and it sometimes happens and "there"s nothing can be done about it". Three years later, I"m still having to wear dark tinted glasses all the time as it helps reduce glare and flashing lights. Now I"m finding I"ve got blurry vision again in that same eye. I"m really fed-up and a bit scared. Another odd thing is, when I close my eyes in the dark, it can seem brighter/lighter than when my eyes are open (in the dark).

Stay Informed!