Cataracts - Experience

How old were you when cataracts were discovered? Please describe your experience.

Facts about cataracts

• A cataract is a clouding of the lens of the eye.
  • Cataracts are extremely common, and most cataracts are a result of the aging process.
  • Although many cataracts are not significant enough to require treatment, surgical removal of cataracts is usually safe and effective, resulting in improvement of vision.
  • Cataract surgery should be performed when the visual loss from the cataract significantly impacts the lifestyle of the individual patient.
Return to Cataracts

Comment from: James, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 28

Between the age 8 and 9, I was diagnosed with cataracts on both eyes. I am now 28 years old and have cataracts on both eyes. The doctor said the cataracts are growing in both eyes but there is no need to operate. He has prescribed glasses.

Comment from: nisha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was 10 years old when I was diagnosed with congenital cataracts in both of my eyes. The doctor told me that it is in the center of my eyes so there was no need to operate it and he prescribed me glasses. Now I'm 31 years old and my vision is getting blurred. I don't want to operate my eyes because of my 2 year old kid.