Canker Sores - Oral Medications

Which medications have you tried for pain or to treat your canker sores? What would you recommend?

Please select the black square:

What oral medications are available to help canker sores?

Several oral medications may help relieve symptoms of canker sores.

• Over-the-counter pain medications such as ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol), or naproxen (Aleve) can be used to help with discomfort from canker sores.
  • Zinc lozenges or vitamins B and C may also help relieve symptoms of canker sores.
Return to Canker Sores

Comment from: Faulk, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

My doctor prescribes a Medrol Dosepak (prednisone) for my canker sores. This is the only thing that helps me. The pain is gone in a day or two at the most, and the canker sores heal in about four days.

Comment from: AGK, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My dentist prescribed Dexilant, which has proven effective...having a hard time getting insurance to cover it...but the frequency of outbreaks have been dramatically reduces. I also use debacterol to coat the sores when I do have an outbreak, which makes it much more tolerable.