Shoulder Bursitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.

What is shoulder bursitis?

A bursa is a tiny fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between tissues of the body. The plural of bursa is bursae. There are 160 bursae in the body. The major bursae are located adjacent to the tendons near the large joints, such as the shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees.

Bursitis is inflammation of a bursa. Injury or inflammation of a bursa around the shoulder joint occurs causes shoulder bursitis.

Return to Shoulder Bursitis

Comment from: Grey ghost, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had the symptoms of bursitis on and off for 10 years. Today shoulder bursitis was confirmed as the problem. What I can't believe is the level of pain this time. Pain levels of 6, 7, and 8 are constant and I often have level 10 pain. I have limited range of motion - I can move the arm all over, but the pain is intense. I had anti inflammatory injection at the emergency room, x-rays, and a prescription for narcotic. My pain is manageable for now. I am hoping to resume exercise routine soon.

Comment from: Andeey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I have bursitis in my left shoulder. Cortisone shot gave no relief. At present I sleep with ice packs under my shoulder and on top of the bend in my arm. It is taking over my days and I am ready for more invasive therapy. I have constant pain. There has been no injury but the possible cause could be my wheelchair.