Shoulder Bursitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with shoulder bursitis.

Please select the black triangle:

What is shoulder bursitis?

A bursa is a tiny fluid-filled sac that functions as a gliding surface to reduce friction between tissues of the body. The plural of bursa is bursae. There are 160 bursae in the body. The major bursae are located adjacent to the tendons near the large joints, such as the shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees.

Bursitis is inflammation of a bursa. Injury or inflammation of a bursa around the shoulder joint occurs causes shoulder bursitis.

Return to Shoulder Bursitis

Comment from: kelly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I had a road accident quite few years ago. Although the accident was minor, I had lots of pain in my left shoulder and neck, but as I was much younger, I did not get it checked. Now I am suffering with bursitis and the pain is traveling to my left breast, it hurts so much, and my shoulder and neck feel numb, hot, tingly and very painful, and every movement hurts. Also the breast feels like a lump, very painful. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: seaweed, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I have been a surfer for over 40 years and never had any problems, you can imagine how a surfer relies on shoulders for paddling. I had acute right shoulder and referred arm pain without warning. I tried everything, physiotherapy, cortisone shot, anti-inflammatory medications, rest, and nearly 2 years not surfing, till bingo back in water catching waves with no pain. Now my other shoulder is sore with no warning. Thus here we go again, time seems to be healer for bursitis, so don't give up.