Chemical Burns - Experience

Did you suffer a chemical burn? Please describe what happened.

What about chemical burns?

Burns can also occur when chemicals are spilled onto the body and generate a reaction that creates heat. Chemical burns may be classified by their pH or acidity.

• Acids are those with pH less than 7 and include common household compounds like acetic acid, hydrochloric acid, or sulfuric acid.
  • Bases or alkali compounds have a pH greater than 7. Ammonia is a common alkali found in the home.
Return to Burns (First Aid)

Comment from: Onita Waheed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I need to know what the best home remedy might be to soothe the burning of this 2nd degree burn all over my scalp due to Bigen Semi-Permanent Hair Color in jet black that I applied to my hair last week. I washed my hair, following the directions on the product. Then I applied the dye, as instructed, allowing the dye to remain in my hair for 15 minutes. After that, I washed my hair with olive oil shampoo, then towel-dried it. I set my hair on rollers the first night, but felt some itching. The next day, I felt some serious burning, so went to a large university hospital, where I was diagnosed with second-degree burns on my scalp. I was released and given some Bacitracin zinc antibiotic ointment (OTC) as well as some oxycodone and acetaminophen. But my scalp is still severely burning, as well as not healing.