Knee Bursitis - Cause

What was the cause of your knee bursitis? Did you have a fever or infection?

Please select the black square:

What are causes of knee bursitis?

Bursitis of the knee can occur when the bursa fills with blood from injury and overuse, such as from athletic competition. Bursitis can also occur from rheumatoid arthritis and from deposits of crystals, as seen in patients with gouty arthritis and pseudogout. The prepatellar bursa can also become infected with bacteria (septic bursitis). When this happens, fever may be present. This type of infection usually occurs from breaks in the overlying skin or puncture wounds. The bacteria involved in septic bursitis of the knee are usually those that normally cover the skin, called Staphylococcus. Rarely, a chronically inflamed bursa can become infected by bacteria spreading through the blood.

Return to Knee Bursitis

Comment from: Tom, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I just had a patella bursectomy on 10/22/13. I had no pain before, and none after the surgery. It was a nothing, in my view. The problem started in about 1985. I had a painful bursa then but had it drained and learned to care for my knees. I own and use kneepads. I suspect part-time work in the yard, tennis and work as an electrician/locksmith were also major contributors!

Comment from: Belinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started walking, just a little, and riding a stationary bike, but because I was so out of shape, I awoke with a pain in my left knee on the inside. It was so painful. I went to the doctor who immediately said I had bursitis and gave me a cortisone shot. He told me to stay off my leg and ice it, which was impossible as I was taking care of my grandkids. I don"t think the cortisone worked at all. I'm going back tomorrow to the doctor for another shot. I cannot be off my feet. I have no fever or infection, just a lot of pain.