Bruises - Slow Healing

Do you bruise easily and are they slow to heal? Please share your experience and concerns.

Please select the black triangle:

What if the bruise doesn't get better or the area stays swollen?

On occasion, instead of going away, the area of a bruise will become firm and may actually start increasing in size. It may also continue to be painful. There are two major causes for this. First, if a large collection of blood is formed under the skin or in the muscle, instead of trying to clean up the area, the body may wall the blood off causing what is called a hematoma. A hematoma is nothing more than a small pool of blood that is walled off. This may need to be drained by your doctor.

A second and much less common problem occurs when the body deposits calcium, the material that makes up the majority of bone, in the area of injury. The area becomes tender and firm. This process is called heterotopic ossification or myositis ossificans.

This condition is diagnosed by X-ray and requires a trip to your doctor.

Return to Bruises

Comment from: WillowPillowPupMcGee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I had a bruise on my knee from a nasty fall. My knee was quite sore for about two days (enough to make crossing my legs impossible or doing yoga that involved being on my knees). The bruise went away in about a week. However, two weeks later I rubbed the area with moderate pressure, noticing that I still had residual soreness deep in my knee. The next morning I woke up with bruises in the same area.

Comment from: dardeb40, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 48 years old. Every day it seems I find more bruises on my body and don"t know how I got them. They last for a while. It seems that every time I bump into something I bruise. I was just wondering if it could be from being low of iron.