Bruises - Frequency

Do you get bruises more frequently than others? Do you know why (disease, condition, medication related)?

Please select the black square:

Why do bruises occur more frequently in some people than in others?

The injury required to produce a bruise varies with age. Bruising occurs more easily in the elderly. While it may take quite a bit of force to cause a bruise in a young child, even minor bumps and scrapes may cause extensive bruising in an elderly person. Blood vessels become more fragile as we age, and bruising may even occur without prior injury in the elderly.

The amount of bruising may also be affected by medications which interfere with blood clotting (and thus cause more bleeding into the skin or tissues). These drugs include many arthritis medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (for example, ibuprofen [Advil, Nuprin] and naproxen [Aleve]) and over-the-counter medications, such as aspirin. Warfarin (Coumadin) is often prescribed by doctors specifically to prevent clotting in patients who have had blood clots in their legs or heart. Warfarin can cause severe bruising, especially if the level of the medication becomes too high. Cortisone medications, such as prednisone, promote bruising by increasing the fragility of the tiny blood vessels in the skin.

Patients with inherited clotting problems (such as in hemophilia) or acquired clotting problems (such as in patients with liver diseases like cirrhosis) can develop extensive bruising, unexplained bruising, or even life-threatening bleeding.

Return to Bruises

Comment from: shawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been off of coumadin for over six weeks. I had a knee replacement. My question to you is I am brusing a lot more now.

Comment from: daisiescan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have always bruised easily, but I have always bumped the area so I knew there would be a bruise on its way soon. But in the last few months I have been waking up in the morning with multiple bruising everywhere on legs and arms. Sometimes small as the tip of my finger or sometimes as big as my entire hand. I have also woken up to my legs from knees down, all red with welt like bumps in center of redness. After two days the swelling and welts left, turning them into bruises. I woke up the other morning with very sore ribs, a few days later a bruise did appear on my ribs. I have no clue what this can be caused from, I have gone to the doctor, who sent me for one set of basic blood test which has shown nothing irregular. He says it's nothing and that some people just bruise easier than others. I would accept this but this has just progressed worse in the last couple of months.