Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Please select the black square:

What are hot flashes?

Hot flashes are experienced by many women, but not all women undergoing menopause have this experience. A hot flash is a feeling of warmth that spreads over the body, but is often most strongly felt in the head and neck regions. Hot flashes may be accompanied by perspiration or flushing. On average, they usually last from 30 seconds to several minutes. Although the exact cause of hot flashes is not fully understood, they are thought to be due to a combination of hormonal and biochemical fluctuations brought on by declining estrogen levels. What is known is they can vary in severity, frequency, and duration.

"About 70 perccent of women experience hot flashes, but their underlying physiology isn't well understood," said Rebecca Thurston, an assistant professor of psychiatry, psychology, and epidemiology at the University of Pittsburgh.

Sometimes hot flashes are accompanied by night sweats (episodes of drenching sweats at nighttime). This may lead to awakening and difficulty falling asleep again, resulting in unrefreshing sleep and daytime tiredness.

Return to Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes of Menopause

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I have found that half of a Benadryl pill about every 3 to 4 hours works best for my hot flashes of menopause. I hope it is ok to be on a constant low dose of Benadryl all of the time. My hot flashes, night sweats and anxiety from menopause are much better. I take a whole pill at bedtime. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Comment from: Marli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I suffered from severe hot flashes of menopause, up to 4 per hour and the subsequent chills, depression and fatigue for 6 years. I tried hormone replacement therapy for a year, then Effexor (didn't work) and Estroven OTC. Finally I found Smoky Mountain Naturals cream, Estro-Life and Progesto-Life. It takes about 6 weeks to work well but I swear it saved my sanity. I went off it once and the symptoms came back gradually but just as bad. Now I make sure to order it early. My skin and nails improved greatly also. I also found that reading books about menopause helped me realize that I wasn't crazy.