Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Please select the black triangle:

What are hot flashes?

Hot flashes are experienced by many women, but not all women undergoing menopause have this experience. A hot flash is a feeling of warmth that spreads over the body, but is often most strongly felt in the head and neck regions. Hot flashes may be accompanied by perspiration or flushing. On average, they usually last from 30 seconds to several minutes. Although the exact cause of hot flashes is not fully understood, they are thought to be due to a combination of hormonal and biochemical fluctuations brought on by declining estrogen levels. What is known is they can vary in severity, frequency, and duration.

"About 70 perccent of women experience hot flashes, but their underlying physiology isn't well understood," said Rebecca Thurston, an assistant professor of psychiatry, psychology, and epidemiology at the University of Pittsburgh.

Sometimes hot flashes are accompanied by night sweats (episodes of drenching sweats at nighttime). This may lead to awakening and difficulty falling asleep again, resulting in unrefreshing sleep and daytime tiredness.

Return to Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes of Menopause

Comment from: Leisa364, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have started taking black cohosh extract for hot flashes of menopause. I no longer have night sweats and my hot flashes during the day have decreased. I may get about two during the day. You cannot take it on an empty stomach, it will make you sick.

Comment from: JG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had been plagued by hot flashes for over 5 years. I had many during the day, and at the worst, every hour during the night. Black cohosh worked for a while, and meclizine worked wonders, but only temporarily. About 18 months ago I started taking Vitex Fruit, a chasteberry product by Nature's Way. It's been a godsend! My hot flashes and night sweats are greatly reduced both in number and intensity! The product is very inexpensive, and I have only been able to find it through Swanson Vitamins. I tried a different chasteberry product from GNC, but it didn't work like the Vitex. You have to take it for about three weeks before you start to see results, but stick with it, you will see results!