Alternative Treatments For Hot Flashes - Experience

Please describe your experience with alternative treatments for hot flashes of menopause.

Please select the black square:

What are hot flashes?

Hot flashes are experienced by many women, but not all women undergoing menopause have this experience. A hot flash is a feeling of warmth that spreads over the body, but is often most strongly felt in the head and neck regions. Hot flashes may be accompanied by perspiration or flushing. On average, they usually last from 30 seconds to several minutes. Although the exact cause of hot flashes is not fully understood, they are thought to be due to a combination of hormonal and biochemical fluctuations brought on by declining estrogen levels. What is known is they can vary in severity, frequency, and duration.

"About 70 perccent of women experience hot flashes, but their underlying physiology isn't well understood," said Rebecca Thurston, an assistant professor of psychiatry, psychology, and epidemiology at the University of Pittsburgh.

Sometimes hot flashes are accompanied by night sweats (episodes of drenching sweats at nighttime). This may lead to awakening and difficulty falling asleep again, resulting in unrefreshing sleep and daytime tiredness.

Return to Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes of Menopause

Comment from: LC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

For hot flashes that wake you up at night and interrupt your sleep cycle I have found that Maca Root by Whole World Botanicals helps to stop the horrible night hot flashes. I take 2 for the day time and 2 before bedtime. They are a blessing and absolutely no side effects!

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

My My GP prescribed Effexor in January. Hot flashes were frequent each day (and also at night), plus I felt anxious, was crabby (not usual for me) with no tolerance for stupidity! I also had difficulty sleeping, so lack of sleep wasn't helping my general frame of mind. I didn't feel like "myself" and I often wondered where an outburst had come from! After about 3 weeks, the hot flashes disappeared and I was ecstatic. After another 3-4 weeks I felt back to normal again no mood swings, I didn't feel anxious etc. and sleep was back to normal. After about 3 months, though, I started to get a bit anxious again, so I went to max dose of XR. It's now July and I feel great except the hot flashes are as regular as they were before I started, and have been for around the last 5 months. I have tried Black Cohosh, "Harmony" tablets no noticeable difference. I am now resigned to having to put up with them, and always carry an elegant fan, so I can help my face cool down. With each hot flash, the sweat (it's not perspiration or a "glow") runs down my face and neck, and down my back. It's horrible, but what can I do? Thank goodness for Effexor, though.

Stay Informed!