Bladder Infection - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with bladder infection?

What are the signs and symptoms of a bladder infection in women?

Because cystitis is seen more commonly in women, most signs and symptoms listed below pertain to cystitis in women unless otherwise indicated.

General symptoms of bladder infection may include:

• Dysuria (painful urination)
  • Urinary frequency
  • Urinary urgency (urge to urinate)
  • Hesitancy to void urine
  • Bladder pain (pain around the pelvic area)
  • Incomplete voiding of urine
  • Urinary incontinence (involuntary loss of urine)

Fevers, chills, nausea, vomiting, and poor oral intake are rarely seen in bladder infection, although they are more common in more severe urinary infections such as kidney infection.

Some common signs of bladder infection are:

• Lower abdominal tenderness
  • Blood in urine (hematuria)
  • Tenderness on the sides of the back (flanks)
  • Foul-smelling urine
  • In elderly patients, lethargy or confusion may be the only signs
Return to Bladder Infection (Cystitis)

Comment from: kenny m., Male (Patient) Published: October 22

When I go and urinate it stings and I go a lot in a day's time, about every 2 hours. I don't have any pain in my back or anywhere else because of bladder infection.

Comment from: Vd, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I've had quite a few urinary tract infections (UTIs) but this last one has been different. I tried to self-treat it with cranberry juice, etc. After 2weeks I started having a stinging pain in my bladder region, then cramps. Now I've been on antibiotics for 5 days, but the abdominal pain is the same. Urologist has no answer for me. Thanks!