Pick's Disease - Symptoms

What was your friend or relative's symptoms of Pick's disease? How is the patient coping?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia?

As it is defined today, the symptoms of frontotemporal dementia fall into two clinical patterns that involve either (1) changes in behavior, or (2) problems with language.

The first type features behavior that can be either impulsive (disinhibited) or bored and listless (apathetic) and includes

• inappropriate social behavior;
  • lack of social tact;
  • lack of empathy;
  • distractability;
  • loss of insight into the behaviors of oneself and others;
  • an increased interest in sex;
  • changes in food preferences;
  • agitation or, conversely, blunted emotions;
  • neglect of personal hygiene;
  • repetitive or compulsive behavior, and
  • decreased energy and motivation.

The second type primarily features symptoms of language disturbance, including difficulty making or understanding speech, often in conjunction with the behavioral type's symptoms. Spatial skills and memory remain intact.

Return to Pick Disease

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 02

My husband is 55 and back in June he was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia (FTD) However, he has been acting weird and gradually losing his memory. It is a horrible illness. I miss the man I met years ago, because he is no longer himself. I feel like I've had to give up my life, too. It is so painful to watch your loved one slowly die without being able to do anything to help. I am so sorry.

Comment from: Dad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

Last November, 2012 I was told I had Alzheimer's disease by a neurologist who I just met and was told knew the best. Then, in January, he told me I didn't have that but that I have FTD (frontotemporal dementia). I was also told I had Sjogren's disease. I also have Tinnitus. All are diseases that can't be corrected, sad to say. As for FTD, my memory is getting worse. Once upon a time my IQ was 148 and now I feel like it's 48. I'm taking Namenda Tab 10mg twice a day, yet I don't see how that's helping me.