Bullous Pemphigoid - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with bullous pemphigoid? How do they affect your daily life?

Please select the white circle:

What are symptoms of bullous pemphigoid?

Symptoms of bullous pemphigoid include intense itching and burning sensation of the skin. When the mucous membranes of the mouth are affected, it can cause pain, burning, peeling away of affected inner lining tissues, and sensitivity to acidic foods. Eating can be difficult, and involvement in the deeper areas of the throat can cause coughing. Involvement of the inner nose can cause nosebleeds. The disease typically worsens (exacerbates) and improves (remits) over time.

Return to Bullous Pemphigoid

Comment from: drumboy, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 06

The itching from bullous pemphigoid is as maddening as everyone says! Every so often, I have to take a prednisone pack. But most of the time I take doxycycline and niacinamide. That keeps it under control as well as steroids, without the side effects.

Comment from: Ruthieb1962, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was diagnosed with bullous pemphigoid after several months of the worst itching I had ever endured. The itching and rash were so bad I thought I would go insane! The dermatologist sent samples to be biopsied, saying he thought he knew what it was, and the next week he told me what it was. I have had infusions and am taking the methotrexate shots each week. I have gone from 60 mg dose of steroid to 10 and am now insulin dependent diabetic because of the steroids. The blisters were in my mouth, my throat, and genitals, as well as all over my body. The blisters were large, some the size of a half dollar. I will have scars from them, although the studies all say the disease does not scar. It was the most miserable thing I have ever lived through. Good luck to all those with this illness.