Bullous Pemphigoid - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with bullous pemphigoid? How do they affect your daily life?

Please select the black triangle:

What are symptoms of bullous pemphigoid?

Symptoms of bullous pemphigoid include intense itching and burning sensation of the skin. When the mucous membranes of the mouth are affected, it can cause pain, burning, peeling away of affected inner lining tissues, and sensitivity to acidic foods. Eating can be difficult, and involvement in the deeper areas of the throat can cause coughing. Involvement of the inner nose can cause nosebleeds. The disease typically worsens (exacerbates) and improves (remits) over time.

Return to Bullous Pemphigoid

Comment from: Murphy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had a rash that was isolated to my stomach only, approximately 1 year ago. It began to spread. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed topical steroids for the itching. I had many appointments and each time topical steroids were of higher strength. In December I became very ill and finally went to the hospital. I had a rash covering 50% of my body. I was in the hospital for 5 days. The itching was intense. I hope this bullous pemphigoid goes away for it is driving me crazy. I am on oral and topical steroids as well as an itching medicine that helps but the itching does not stop. I have no strength to fight this.

Comment from: Trucking Granny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Two years ago my gums became sensitive to many foods. The sensitivity progressed to bleeding and sloughing of the outer layer of tissue. My mouth was bleeding a great deal. It took about 18 months and several doctor"s visits to diagnose bullous pemphigoid. I have been on several rounds of steroids. Lately I was on Imuran which made me terribly ill with flu-like symptoms and caused my liver enzymes to go up severely. My blood sugar also went out of control. I am currently off all medication and am waiting for my liver enzymes to return to normal. When that happens the doctor will put me on CellCept. I hope that helps.

Stay Informed!