Behcet's Syndrome - Experience

Please discuss your experience with Behcet's syndrome.

Please select the black square:

What is Behçet's syndrome?

Behçet's syndrome is classically characterized as a triad of symptoms that include recurring crops of mouth ulcers (aphthous ulcers, canker sores), genital ulcers, and inflammation of a specialized area around the pupil of the eye termed the uvea. The inflammation of the area of the eye that is around the pupil is called uveitis. Behçet's syndrome is also sometimes referred to as Behçet's disease.

The cause of Behçet's syndrome is not known. The disease is relatively rare but is more frequent and severe in patients from the Eastern Mediterranean and Asia than those of European descent. Both inherited (genetic) and environmental factors, such as microbe infections, are suspected to be factors that contribute to the development of Behçet's syndrome. Behçet's syndrome is not proven to be contagious.

Return to Behcet's Syndrome

Comment from: Lee123, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

My mother has Behcet's I have Behcet's and my sister as well, Behcet's needs rest, not extreme hot weather and we drink Advil CS that works wonders. You must learn your body"s signs, if we feel the symptoms popping up, we either rest or take Advil CS pills.

Comment from: Eve, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I"ve been diagnosed with Behcet's syndrome 3 years ago. I was referred to the eye hospital because of a very severe anterior uveitis in both eyes. I was very lucky to be caught in time and started treatment right away, I was on 25 mg of methotrexate for approximately 2 years but first was on prednisolone eye drop for 6 months. Today I'm doing fine and my eyes are back to what it was, I do have to wear glasses but hey! After all I'm going on 53 so... Just to let everyone know that if you or someone you know is experiencing some sort of blurred vision and pressure in their eyes please go see quickly your eye doctor, because if not treated and you have uveitis you'll go blind.