Aseptic Necrosis - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with aseptic necrosis?

Please select the white circle:

What are aseptic necrosis symptoms and signs?

Aseptic necrosis begins as a painless bone abnormality. It can remain painless. The involved bone often later develops pain, especially with use. For example, if a hip joint develops avascular necrosis in the ball of the hip joint, pain can be noted, especially upon weight-bearing. As the ball of the hip joint collapses from the degeneration of the bone from aseptic necrosis, pain in the groin can be felt with hip rotation and pain can sometimes be noted with rest after weight-bearing. Aseptic necrosis of the knee is often associated with pain or limping with walking. Aseptic necrosis of the shoulder can be associated with pain and loss of range of motion of the shoulder joint.

Return to Aseptic Necrosis

Comment from: 2young4this, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 14

I have avascular necrosis (AVN) of the right hip probably from a prolonged illness. Initially, I thought I must have very slightly injured myself and the pain in my hip would go away. The illness got better, but the hip pain never went away. It got worse over time. Then, the joint was very painful and no longer moved smoothly, catching or popping in a few places. Had I gone to a doctor when I first felt the slight pain, I might not be facing total hip replacement now. Unfortunately, I"m late stage 3 and the damage is done.

Comment from: Daughter ia Optimist, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 02

My 13 year old daughter dropped a weight on her foot accidentally during a weight lifting session for sports the end of August. We went to a family doctor and she was cleared after an extensive range of motion test. In November, we got x-rays with the result of nothing broken. In March, we went to the podiatrist. After looking at his own x-rays, he diagnosed her with Freiberg syndrome, aseptic necrosis. Her foot was always in minor pain and slightly swollen from August to March.