Keratoconus - Cause

What do you think caused your keratoconus?

Please select the black square:

What Causes Keratoconus?

Often the cause of keratoconus is unknown. Some studies have found that keratoconus runs in families, and that it happens more often in people with certain medical conditions. But most often, there is no eye injury or disease that could explain why the eye starts to change.

Keratoconus usually begins in the teenage years, but it can also start in childhood or up to about age 30. The changes in the shape of the cornea occur slowly, usually over several years.

Someone with keratoconus will notice that vision slowly becomes distorted. The change can stop at any time, or it can continue for several years. In most people who have keratoconus, both eyes are eventually affected.

Return to Keratoconus

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My 'blurred vision', started with my intake of psychotropic medicines when I was 21 years old. No one in my family has keratoconus. I am now clinically 'legally blind'.