Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression

Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.

Please select the black triangle:

What is the prognosis (outlook) for patients with ankylosing spondylitis?

The outlook for patients with ankylosing spondylitis is very much dependent upon the location and severity of its manifestations. The prognosis is best for those who maintain close monitoring with the treating doctors and who incorporate physical activities designed to maintain mobility. Quitting smoking is essential for the best long-term outcome.

Return to Ankylosing Spondylitis

Comment from: Ryeod, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

I have AS. I got diagnosed at age 25. I've been on Enbrel since 2006. I am 33 years old now. I had a baby at age 30. I find it difficult to keep up with my 3-year-old son some days. He is very active, and I am stiff at nighttime. I am a RN as well. They're both challenging jobs, and I am not sure how long I can keep up with working. Enbrel only works for a week. By day 10, I start to hurt a lot and need to take the shot. I am not on any prescription pain meds but I take ibuprofen as needed. I hope they find a cure for this curse of a disease.

Comment from: LadyAne, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have recently been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, at the age of 24. I had back pain since I was 17 and regular sciatica which was diagnosed as piriformis syndrome. I am currently on Celebrex 200 mg twice a day and sulphasalazine 3 tablets morning and night. I find that there is only so much that medication can do for the pain and have found that the only thing that truly has helped for severe pain attacks is getting into the cold pool. Warm water is a no, try cold water, and if possible some freestyle and backstroke laps, no breaststroke. I find that I need to move in the cold water for at least 10 minutes before I have relief, but the relief I get is so worth it. If any of you are struggling with pain, give the cold water a chance and see if that helps. And for sleeping I find it helps if I sleep on my stomach with my knee (if one SI joint side hurts more) or both knees out and in, kind of like a frog"s knees go out or "butterfly sit". I find this really helps me sleep through the night. And if any of you go for a massage, don"t just let the massager/physiotherapist work on the area where the pain is, I find a massage to release all the back muscles and butt muscles helps. I hope this helps.