Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience

Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.

Please select the black square:

Ankylosing spondylitis facts

• Ankylosing spondylitis belongs to a group of arthritis conditions which tend to cause chronic inflammation of the spine (spondyloarthropathies).
  • Ankylosing spondylitis affects males two to three times more commonly than females.
  • Ankylosing spondylitis is a cause of back pain in adolescents and young adults.
  • The tendency to develop ankylosing spondylitis is genetically inherited.
  • The HLA-B27 gene can be detected in the blood of most patients with ankylosing spondylitis.
  • Ankylosing spondylitis can also affect the eyes, heart, lungs, and occasionally the kidneys.
  • The optimal treatment of ankylosing spondylitis involves medications that reduce inflammation or suppress immunity, physical therapy, and exercise.
Return to Ankylosing Spondylitis

Comment from: CHANDRA, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 26

My sister of age 38 years is suffering from ankylosing spondylitis. She has been operated by a very senior neurosurgeon in 2011 but she is still not well. We have taken opinions from many senior consultants but all have suggested to us that their treatment is over, she cannot be ok. She also has polio since childhood, from around 4 years of age, and now she is bedridden and helpless.

Comment from: Beryl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a 70 year old female and recently diagnosed with AS (ankylosing spondylitis). I had a minor fall 9 months ago when I slipped on some water in the supermarket. I"ve had pain and stiffness all over ever since, especially in bed at night so that I could hardly bear to move. The doctor put me on ibuprofen for a month, now I am on Mobic/meloxicam and feeling a lot better. I am trying to walk and exercise regularly. From the symptoms, I think my father and my great grandfather both had it. My 45 year old son has been tested, and thankfully he doesn"t have the gene.

Stay Informed!