Amyloidosis - Complications

Describe the complications of amyloidosis experienced by you or someone you know.

What are complications of amyloidosis?

Complications of amyloidosis are a function of what organs and tissues are affected and to what degree their function is impaired. Amyloidosis can lead to failure of lung, liver, heart, and kidney function. Additionally, the treatments (including chemotherapy as well as stem-cell and organ transplantation) can have serious side effects.

Return to Amyloidosis

Comment from: Gene, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I was just diagnosed with amyloidosis affecting the lungs. I have low oxygen level and I am on oxygen 24/7. I am out of breath easily with the slightest exertion. I have been active all my life, gym 3 times a week, until I noticed I was having shortness of breath. The doctor had diagnosed me as having spots on lungs. He said if I had been around asbestos he could tell me what it is, but I have not been around asbestos to any extent that I know of. I have installed wool fiber in walls as insulation but not asbestos. I have not been told of any treatment as yet.

Comment from: Rachel, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

My mother was diagnosed with amyloidosis at the age of 62. She was diagnosed due to extreme amounts of protein in her urine. It quickly affected her heart and she had shortness of breath. Her lower extremities began to swell and would even seep. She passed away at age 66 with kidney failure. Very painful disease and I hope treatments are improved and more studies are done!