Amyloidosis - Complications

Describe the complications of amyloidosis experienced by you or someone you know.

Please select the black square:

What are complications of amyloidosis?

Complications of amyloidosis are a function of what organs and tissues are affected and to what degree their function is impaired. Additionally, the treatments including chemotherapy as well as stem-cell and organ transplantation can have serious side effects.

Return to Amyloidosis

Comment from: Hannah, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My mother-in-law, age 64, was diagnosed with amyloidosis in the spring after she went for a checkup and her doctor noticed that her urine was foamy. The disease was in her kidneys, but they estimated only about 10% of her kidneys were affected. She worked full time and was socially active. She has since had treatment in July at a major research hospital with chemo and a stem cell transplant. It has not been successful. Her kidneys failed, and she is now on dialysis. Her anticipated hospitalization of two weeks turned into a month. The doctors are very puzzled as to the cause of the failure. She has been transferred to an acute care facility closer to her home for dialysis and physical therapy. She has constant nausea and eats very little. She is not walking without assistance. After a kidney biopsy, it appears that the amyloidosis has spread in her kidneys and may have spread to her stomach now. She is to have upper and lower GI tests later this week.

Comment from: Gene, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I was just diagnosed with amyloidosis affecting the lungs. I have low oxygen level and I am on oxygen 24/7. I am out of breath easily with the slightest exertion. I have been active all my life, gym 3 times a week, until I noticed I was having shortness of breath. The doctor had diagnosed me as having spots on lungs. He said if I had been around asbestos he could tell me what it is, but I have not been around asbestos to any extent that I know of. I have installed wool fiber in walls as insulation but not asbestos. I have not been told of any treatment as yet.